Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all wondering if any of you that have converted from vac brakes to hydroboost have had any issues? I'm using a hydrobooster from a chevy and a master cylinder from a 78 dodge with the Mitsubishi diesel so it would have been hydroboost as well. Only prob is that the push rod coming from the booster that presses on the master is too short and is not adjustable. Its roughly 1 3/8 inch too short

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
Generally you need the master that was used on the hydroboost. Same with vacuum boosters, there is not a standard match up for the two. Many have an adjustable pushrod, but you are only talking about 1/4 to 3/8 inch.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Superburban right the only reason I didnt use the gm master is A the metric fittings B I wanted it to look as close to stock with the cast iron master C bc I already had this one bc I was originally gonna try to do air over hydraulic brakes

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
Without seeing the parts, some options are 1, extend the HB pushrod, by welding, soldering, or threading on an extension. 2, Make a new output rod the right length. 3, fill in the cavity, With a tight fitting plug. 4, use the HB you have as a core on the one that matches the master you have. 5, buy the metric master and metric fittings, and reflare your lines.

It all depends on what capabilities or connections you have.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
79w200 said:
Superburban right the only reason I didnt use the gm master is A the metric fittings B I wanted it to look as close to stock with the cast iron master C bc I already had this one bc I was originally gonna try to do air over hydraulic brakes
What year did GM switch the fittings? The HB masters I have (80's Chev) are cast iron and look very similar to the Dodge one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.