Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, finished up my 75 ramcharger 5.9 swap and restoration a few months ago. got to drive it for the last couple of months of summer , and work a couple of bugs out of it , but it drives amazingly well with cummins , 518 trans , 42' tire combo. but it is a little hard to stop, and id like to convert to a hydro boost system. ive done some searching on the site for this topic but didnt get too many clear answers. just wondering if you could tell me the easiest and cheapest way to do this conversion. thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Chevy ones seem to be popular. The ones on the 88+ trucks have a flat firewall plate vs older ones are angled and harder to use. Plan on adjusting/splicing the pedal rod to suit.

I'm adapting an 85ish Chevy one. 95 dodge master bolts on. Work in progress for now.

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
I have used both Chevy and Dodge booster units, and I have also had them hi-flowed (at Vanco) for use with ram-assisted steering, and all of them work great. Currently I am using a 99 Ram 2500 Cummins hydrobooster (with the 'Dodge' 45* angle-adapter bracket), and because I am disc-disc I am using a newer Dodge master cylinder - have to check which one I'm using...

- Sam

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used both Chevy and Dodge booster units, and I have also had them hi-flowed (at Vanco) for use with ram-assisted steering, and all of them work great. Currently I am using a 99 Ram 2500 Cummins hydrobooster (with the 'Dodge' 45* angle-adapter bracket), and because I am disc-disc I am using a newer Dodge master cylinder - have to check which one I'm using...

- Sam
Great , thanks Sam, I would like to assist the steering as well, could you explain how all this works, I am also running four wheel disks on this truck, stock dana 60 up front , with a lug nut 4x4 conversion on the rear, right now the rears lock up during a hard stop.
For the ram assist steering, do you not need to port the box?

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
for ram-assist yep the box has to be ported, and I only get that kind of thing done at/from PSC - they do other internal voodoo that aids flow through the box into the ram which helps speed up the steering when it would otherwise slow down because of the ram, and they TIG weld the fittings to the box which eliminates leaks - nice stuff, and since it's steering to me it is well worth whatever the difference between theirs and any other place that does ram-assist work (you can either boy a box already done or send them yours to have it rebuilt/ported).

Brakes. Cindy at Vanco does similar voodoo to hydrobooster units, and last I checked they only work on original (not-reman'd) boosters, like from a junkyard, which gives them the opportunity to both rebuild them with the additional porting in mind, and, do the porting. If you'd like more info let me know and I'll dig up the contact info I have somewhere.

Reactions: Signguy97

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Great , thanks Sam, I would like to assist the steering as well, could you explain how all this works, I am also running four wheel disks on this truck, stock dana 60 up front , with a lug nut 4x4 conversion on the rear, right now the rears lock up during a hard stop.
For the ram assist steering, do you not need to port the box?
You need an adjustable proportional valve mounted inline for the rear brakes. JEGS 63022: Adjustable Proportioning Valve - JEGS High Performance

With one of those you can "dial back" the pressure going to your rear disc.

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
...I'm not sure my 'factory' proportioning valve is working quite well enough - not sure I'm getting enough pressure to the rear brakes, so I might redo my system with an adjustable valve too...

Reactions: Signguy97
1 - 8 of 8 Posts