Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a show named: Highway Thru Hell on Discovery Channel here in Canada and it is filmed here in British Columbia and its a really cool show about tow trucks but at the 36 minute mark or so it gets even cooler as the tow truck is an early 80's Dodge. Enjoy!

Registered
Canadian country boy said:
This is a show named: Highway Thru Hell on Discovery Channel here in Canada and it is filmed here in British Columbia and its a really cool show about tow trucks but at the 36 minute mark or so it gets even cooler as the tow truck is an early 80's Dodge. Enjoy!

Ha Ha the announcer sounds like Jessie Ventura.

Registered
yes that show is one I see on occasion , tip when pulling from that distance , you have NO lift , mud suctions stuff , he needs to lower his booms , so he gets full transfer of his trucks weight to rear , but not so high it picks the front tires more than a little , a-la tractor pull .... many things I see them do are NOT what the Holmes recovery manual teaches , or how it should be done . Do Not spin the pick-ups tires ....聽

Administrator
A 4 wheeled dually, thats good for the rear axle ::)

For the second setup, I would have backed the wrecker up to one of those big stumps. The best two weeks I had in the Army, was when I took the mud divers (Vehicle recovery) course.

Registered
yep , that is a 10 ton wrecker crane , on a 3 ton carrier ( truck) it IS a twin / split boom however .聽 the next thing I'd do is use it as a crane , turn 90' split the booms , using 2 snatch blocks run a 4 part line to an anchor ( another truck ,or two, a large tree base ... ?) then run a 2 part line ( 1 snatch block) to the pick up , put the outriggers out/down . now the wrecker is safely held by 4 cables , the load is downward onto the outriggers ( not the old dodge )tighten up the 4 part , then pull on the 2 part聽 .聽 the way he has it in the show , the max pull he gets is the weight of the front of his truck not the 20,000 that crane is at least good for . The d60 axle is getting less load than it appears , a heavy load and a good bump is more on it ....

Registered
i broke the 4lo in my ramcharger trying to pull out a truck that was more stuck than that lol. Collin(4x4Klown) had his truck buried up to the axles at the place he was storing his trailer. we end up just jacking both front and rear end off the ground with 2 jacks enough to shove wood under the tires and then just drove it out. made some big deep ruts. the place was like a swamp. we ended up using a shovel under the trailers jack and pulled it out with a strap since hooking up to the trailer and driving out was not an option. the ruts are back past the tall grass in this pic. the small one were from someone else but just shows how soft the ground was.

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know my 80's Dodge trucks. What year is that Dodge? Is it a W350?

Registered
the green thing ? that's an international , about the size of a 2 or 1 1/2 ton 4300 series maybe , with hydroboost 4 wheel disc brakes maybe ....

Administrator
I don't know my 80's Dodge trucks. What year is that Dodge? Is it a W350?
The tow truck? its an 86 to 90 W350 Dually, minus the inner wheels.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SuperBurban said:
The tow truck? its an 86 to 90 W350 Dually, minus the inner wheels.
Yes, the red Dodge. Sorry, I should have been more clear. Funny you say that about the rear wheels because I noticed no dualies also. WTH?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just love this show. Here's a another new upload.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mopar65pa said:
Ha Ha the announcer sounds like Jessie Ventura.
Haha, you're right. He does sound like Jessie "the body" Ventura! I never really thought about it until you mentioned it. Too funny

Registered
I watched the first several seasons of that show on Netflix. My favorite rig was the 8x8 oil field truck that assisted them on a recovery in Alberta.

I liked AL Q's operation. Not all that fancy chrome, just good dependable equipment.

Bucky

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
712edf said:
I watched the first several seasons of that show on Netflix. My favorite rig was the 8x8 oil field truck that assisted them on a recovery in Alberta.

I liked AL Q's operation. Not all that fancy chrome, just good dependable equipment.

Bucky
Al is my favorite guy on that show. He's a real man. Smart, humble, sense of humor, tough as an ox, no bull. That type of guy used to represent most Canadian men not long ago but now even though young "men" wear beards and lumberjacks, they are soft. They talk like 13 year old school girls, have high pitch voices, no hair anywhere else on their bodies and are as tough as a wet paper bag. Even men in their 60's are now highly feminized here in Justin Truedau's failed Empire.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those triple axle rotators are impressive machines. I want one!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's Al here...

Administrator
Those triple axle rotators are impressive machines. I want one!
This would be my choice. Not many places it cannot go, and not much that it cannot tow.

Attachments

Registered
a hemmitt or some such thing ? I have a pix of one of them with a burning civilian tanker semi

a tad wide for public roads ?, somewhere there's a pix of a "rotator" wrecker with a cement mixer ( 9 yards?) in the air like that , along side the wrecker no less .... a demo by the manufacturer
the interesting thing about all of them , civilian uses a 2 x safety factor , i.e. a 20 ton will do 40 before it breaks for sure , while military used a 4 x safety factor .... when it says 15 ......聽 :eek:

Super Moderator
712edf said:

Bucky
First time I saw the show it was on The Weather Channel which seems a bit odd. Have binged it a bit on NetFlix. The same production company did a copy of the show that's set in Toronto. Heavy Rescue 401 or something like that and mostly watchable. The aussie version not so much.

I remember that 8x8 and I also remember wondering why they called a wrecker when that had that thing. I get a kick out of Al - all skill, no drama.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya Al has some mad skills for sure. Tough as an ox.

Haha George, that military crane truck dwarfs those rotators for sure! Al Quiring should buy one of them and be king of the Coquihalla highway and put his competition away! Lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.