Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after reading the 4wd with hubs of fulltime??? I now wonder what the hell my RC has. Now keep in ind this is an expresion of my total lack of inteligence. :)

When I got my truck it had chromed metal covers on the ends of the hubs. I was given a set of warn lock outs (I guess that is what they are called) and had them put on in place of the chromed caps.

So now with the lock outs in the free position the front diff. no longer turns while vehicle is in motion. If I put them in lock the diff. then moves.

The question is, was this a full time 4wd system in the begining or was it part time?

Somewhere in all the talk of conversions for the other post I was lost as to what was full time 4wd.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
No, it wasn't full-time. What you had is called CAD (Central Axle Disconnect). This is the front-end I now have, so I permanently locked the CAD to keep my full-time. You don't wanna do that unless you have a 203 xfer case, though. What year is your truck? You're prolly better off with manual lock-out than with vaccuum CAD. My 88 has the original vaccuum CAD still in place and works, but I do know that some people have had problems with them failing.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
i permanently locked my CAD and i have a 241 tcase. this is in an 89, and its my DD, and i dont have lockouts. no problems.

Duane

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
You can permanently lock the CAD in your truck w/ no problems, you can also leave it alone w/ no problems.
The diff stopped spinning 'cause the pass side axleshaft stopped turning it. The stock parts you removed (drive flanges) were like gears that connected the wheel hubs to the axle shafts at all times. Now, the splined parts of the shafts and wheel hubs only connect when the Warn hubs are locked. If you kept the removed parts, carry them as spares for when the Warn's give up. A ten minute repair will then give you 4wd back to get home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts