Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I drove 150 km straight there doing 140km/h the whole way which is at maximum rpm cuz the truck will not go n e quicker. I had hardley taken my foot off the floor the whole time. Am I an idiot for abusing my cummins like this? or its a diesel it can handle it? Am I asking for something to blow by doing this?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You aren't going to hurt it. The max operating rpm is well below that of a gas engine, and the Cummins is much better built than a gas engine. You should be able to run it at max all week long and be fine.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Only thing your hurting is fuel milage :)

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
engineers have said you cant do anything to hurt a stock unmodified cummins other than overheating it due to lack of water or lack of oil. so i believe that. just try and tear it up.:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good thanks alot boys!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
mrpeal said:
boys? would you call an alligator a lizard? ;D
do you try to exagerate your lizard as a monster crocodile jamie?

anyways, full throttle is no problem.

u must let the truck idle down for a good while to let turbo cool down and spool down. that is the big problem

our trucks are operated at full throttle at nearly all times. they top out at about 83km/h. that is going down hill at near max rpm of 3000. this isnt a cummins but rather a 3116. stupid m f'ing operators dont idle down properly and then next time they start up there is all kindsa problems. they see blue smoke so say engine is blown. there is no power and engine maybe only go 75km/h or less.and there is all kinds of horrible sounds. so it is presumed that the engine is blown up. the problem is the turbocharger center section is toast.

the turbo easily spins 100,000 rpm @ full load. then the operator immediately shuts down engine. the turbo is still spinning at nearly same speed but since engine is shut off the oil pump no longer circulates cooling engine oil and bearings are toast. they develope slack. this allows lotta leaky oil to spray into intake and exhaust. plus allows turbine shaft to wobble allowing impellers to make conact with housing. and in some cases the 100,000 rpm spinning turbine shaft contacting the housing causes a explosion of parts.

so take care of oil and allow time to idle down.

btw is it really necessary to travel at a constant speed of 84 mph in a full size truck?

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Around here.....that's going with the flow on the big highways.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
joe swinehart said:
i understand but the right lane is there for you diesel guys.
The right lane is for diesels??? I think your wrong, not one car passed me the whole way there! I had to wait for them damn gas engine automobiles to move out of MY way!

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
and u were topped out son.

the others just use a lil coomon sense as far as not operating their cars at full throttle all day.

i dunno, its just not neccessary. i mean people here cruise at 140km/h thats every one. except for the trucks. it just aint so safe. or economic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
joe swinehart said:
i understand but the right lane is there for you diesel guys.
Joe, wake up and smell the coffee son!!!

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Sorry Joe, but if you tossed a cinder block on the gas pedal of a gas engine powered truck, after a short time the gas engine would blow up.

If you tossed a cinder block on the diesel pedal of a diesel powered truck, the only damage you'd do is to your wallet. You would pay for a tank of fuel and you'd burn it all up long before the engine is damaged.

As far as the diesel being in the right lane, forget it, most modern turbo diesels run circles around small blocks and some big blocks as well, and they'll do it on half the amount of fuel you'd need for the gasser.

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
damn it guys internet miscommunication

not a diesel vs gas debate.

the whole point is do ya need to drive that fast in ANY full size truck constantly.

ya i know they ll run hard all day. thats way we drive em too. i know some accelerate quickly.

but it takes some revs out there.

for most cars to run out here at more than say 150km/h they ll be turning atleast 4000rpm all day. and thats with overdrive.

i guess the question is do u need to drive that recklessly fast? regardless of gas vs diesel.

i guess the 6 17 rockwells are a good way of limiting speed for us ;D

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
joe swinehart said:
damn it guys internet miscommunication

not a diesel vs gas debate.
You said that the right lane was for us diesel guys. The only way I am to take this is you suggesting our diesels are slow.

the whole point is do ya need to drive that fast in ANY full size truck constantly.
I don't suggest fast driving with a heavy load. The subject which I replied to had nothing to do with speed. If you go back and read the original post, bagged89 had a concern for the engine rpm in relation to a given road speed. My response had to do with rpms not max speed.

ya i know they ll run hard all day. thats way we drive em too. i know some accelerate quickly.

but it takes some revs out there.

for most cars to run out here at more than say 150km/h they ll be turning atleast 4000rpm all day. and thats with overdrive.
Since you insist on talking about speed, and making your own comparison between gas and diesels, then lets take a look at some facts. A gas engine produces most of it's torque at a higher rpm than a diesel, but the diesel makes more torque at lower rpms and can turn taller gears without lugging. So where it takes a gasser 4000rpm to run at 150km/h, the diesel may do it at 2600rpms. You can try and make the gas engine run at a lower rpm like the diesel, but it won't have the torque (or leverage) to turn taller gears at a high rate of speed

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
bagged89 said:
Yesterday I drove 150 km straight there doing 140km/h the whole way which is at maximum rpm cuz the truck will not go n e quicker.
well ed this is the first post.

which he is saying he would like to drive quicker but is maxed on the revs.

lets also make the comparison that no doubt a diesel makes more torque. but the truck the diesel is in is not geared for hi speed operation (didnt he say some where else he had 3 54s?)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whats ur point Joe? Where r u trying to get with this?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
joe swinehart said:
bagged89 said:
Yesterday I drove 150 km straight there doing 140km/h the whole way which is at maximum rpm cuz the truck will not go n e quicker.
well ed this is the first post.

which he is saying he would like to drive quicker but is maxed on the revs.

lets also make the comparison that no doubt a diesel makes more torque. but the truck the diesel is in is not geared for hi speed operation (didnt he say some where else he had 3 54s?)
Joe, no where does he ask how to go faster. He says that he ran his truck at max all day long and was concerned if he could cause damage to the engine. Though I'm not condoning fast driving, I see his point about running the engine at what he percieves as max rpm. In a gas engine you can do damage running at it's max rpm, so I can understand the concern. But this is not a gas engine, it is a diesel. As such it has a lower max rpm and better built, which I mentioned in my first response.

Joe, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest over this, but I don't think the issue ever was about how he could increase his top speed. Now if he was going to run the truck fast in a safer enviroment like on a race track, then I could tell him a few different options on how to go faster. I'm sure you would too.

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
bagged89 said:
My gears are a very high ratio and i can only do 140 kmh at max rpm. I want to get lower ratio gears and i also want something that can take a little beating from doing burnouts. can anybody help me? what kind of gears should i be looking at getting?......
I don't really care what my fuel economy is really. I have 20's on it with 275/45/20 tires. So ya i don't have the 16's n e more. My goal really for my drive train is be able to do more then 140 kmh and a couple burnouts now and then
sorry Ed, i just saw a young new driver who may not know any better.

i know at one time we all drove or still do drive fast. so i guess i cant say too much.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I may drive fast but I don't drive unsafely its not like i barrel down every street. I only ever get up to 140 on an open highway. But NEVER do I drive unsafely im aware of the children playing on the streets and such so thats why im careful

1 - 20 of 36 Posts