Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short of removing bulbs, that is.

On my 1990 RC I replaced the whole rear axle assy. with one from a 1984 RC.

Any suggestions on how to get the anti-lock and brake light to go out now that I don't have anti-lock? Ideally, I'd like to get the anti-lock light to go out and have the brake light work normally (when E- brake is on and if there's a problem with the brakes).

I'm thinking there is no way to do it cause the anti-lock control module needs the pulses from the tone ring or it will generate a fault condition, triggering the light. Because of this, even if I short out the connector at the axle, there will still be a fault triggered.

I was thinking that I could just isolate the brake warning switch from the anti-lock circuit. In the diagram, it looks like I could just cut the wire behind the message center (brake light) that comes from the anti-lock module. Then, the only wire going to the brake light would be from the brake warning switch (via the ignition switch). Does that make sense to anyone?

·
7,995 Posts
Coop, from what I see there are 2 different bulbs. Am I correct? I would either pull the bulb or try disconnecting the wire at #1 and see what happens. As long as you have no sensor you will generate an error and light.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Chump, thanks for the help.

Yes, there are 2 bulbs. What I was thinking was to remove the anti-lock bulb (#1) and then cutting the wire at #6 and #2 that comes from the RWAL module,

From what I can tell, #1, #2, and #6 have an input from the RWAL module.

This is from the 90 fsm.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Why not just pull the plug from the antilock module behind the glovebox? No brain = no light...

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys.

I took Taz'z advice and disconnected the anti-lock module. Before I did that, I followed wires in the fsm and saw nothing that would cause a major problem. For now, everything works as advertised. I'll let you know if it screws up.

Thanks for all the help. :)

Ted

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I don't think anything critical goes through that module... All the extra wires (4x4 indicator, wiper module, etc) I think are to tell the module what kind of conditions you're driving in (rain or snow if the wipers are on, snow or mud if you're in 4wd, etc).. Ya know?

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, the brake warning light still works when the e-brake is on as well as when there is a fluid/pressure problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.