Dodge RamCharger Central banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Ramcharger 400 auto 5” superlift
140 Posts
Dealing with the same issue, but the drip rail part is in pretty good shape. The chrome trim will make things a little easier to hide my welding at the rail at least!😂
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,671 Posts
I hate how rust the inside layer of the steel rusts like that and there is no real way to coat the inside unfortunately.

Reactions: 74snowfiter

·
Registered
795 Posts
I need to do it again, but I use Kroil oil or wd40 with the long spray nozzle and spray the inside of the roof through the visor mount holes. I usually spray until I start to smell it haha. I have heard of people using weed sprayers with some sort of anti-rust, the weed spray I guess can coat better or farther into the roof.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have heard of people using weed sprayers with some sort of anti-rust, the weed spray I guess can coat better or farther into the roof.
Probably atomization. I bought one of those pump spray containers for spraying bug spray and it works much better than the one that comes with the bug spray bottle. Kind of like how a fuel injector or paint gun works. You can spray a large volume of liquid as a fog vs a stream to cover more surface area.

I imagine ATF + Acetone would work in a pump sprayer pretty well. You could mix that to whatever works best for you. Generally those pump spray bottles are made from polyethylene so the acetone won't eat through the container.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I need to do it again, but I use Kroil oil or wd40 with the long spray nozzle and spray the inside of the roof through the visor mount holes. I usually spray until I start to smell it haha. I have heard of people using weed sprayers with some sort of anti-rust, the weed spray I guess can coat better or farther into the roof.
Any worry about the oil seeping between the layers at the drip rail, and having issues with the drip rail sealer lifting? Im lucky my roof skin is good, but the drip rail sealer is going, and allowing a leak. I was going to spray something in through the cab light holes to slow down any rust inbetween .

·
Registered
31,397 Posts
Any worry about the oil seeping between the layers at the drip rail, and having issues with the drip rail sealer lifting? Im lucky my roof skin is good, but the drip rail sealer is going, and allowing a leak. I was going to spray something in through the cab light holes to slow down any rust inbetween .

l,d scape all the old "seam sealer ' off and apply new stuff and it's easy to do

they make more expensive brands

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The reason these trucks rust there is because of heating and cooling....they get hot during the day and cool off at night, moisture collects inside the uncoated, unpainted roof layers and rust forms from the inside out....amazing that no one repops roof skins.

·
Registered
1977 Ramcharger 400 auto 5” superlift
140 Posts
A repop roof skin would save a lot of our trucks. I didn’t see any kind of coating in between the roof skin layers. Sprayed rust paint as far as I could reach. You could probably spray some in the roof bolt holes on pop tops.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,671 Posts
The reason these trucks rust there is because of heating and cooling....they get hot during the day and cool off at night, moisture collects inside the uncoated, unpainted roof layers and rust forms from the inside out....amazing that no one repops roof skins.
It's amazing that they don't re-pop tin grilles, full bed sides and bird bath hoods also. Oh yeah, and dashboards.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts