Dodge RamCharger Central banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
62,044 Posts
All 3 of my R/C and a shortbed I used to have are New Jersey trucks and have been outdoors and in snow/salt most of their life and have no evidence of rust. Not sure how or why some rust like that. I did have a pickup that had more rot than metal though. A while back I cut the front roof section off an R/C that I scrapped that had zero rust in that area. Go figure.
Yes, it is interesting. I have seen some super rusted out stuff, but never seen a rusted out roof, except for on the web. Wheel wells, fenders, rockers, body cross members, yes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I never noticed that difference in the roof even after having 2 pickups and many R/C's.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some people make fun of the "eyebrow", but I have one on my F350 with the integrated lights and I love it. Unfortunately, so do the bees during nesting season. lol
View attachment 630138
They’ve grown on me recently. I just want the regular visor, no lights. Truck still needs body work so maybe by the time I get around to coloring the thing, I’ll see if I want to pull the trigger on one. I was just never a fan of drilling into the top of the cab either though so that’s another set back for me.

Bees like to make nests in mine too. I have a can of anti-wasp spray in the garage and I get em as I see em. They like the cowl where the washer nozzles are too.

·
Administrator
62,044 Posts
I knew it changed, just was not sure when. The back window also changed the mid 70's I think.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
All 3 of my R/C and a shortbed I used to have are New Jersey trucks and have been outdoors and in snow/salt most of their life and have no evidence of rust. Not sure how or why some rust like that. I did have a pickup that had more rot than metal though. A while back I cut the front roof section off an R/C that I scrapped that had zero rust in that area. Go figure.
More than likely the owners kept them washed and waxed to protect them.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Bees like to make nests in mine too. I have a can of anti-wasp spray in the garage and I get em as I see em. They like the cowl where the washer nozzles are too.
Let's not forget the fender where it meets the door and one to watch for is the tailgate release handle. I try to knock the nest down and let them move on. It usually works. Wasps and hornets eat the bugs that eat your plants, so I try to keep them around during the spring and summer. Most of them die off over the winter, so when they start eating all the fruit on the ground that has now turned to wine, they get obnoxious. So they die by spray can.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yes, it is interesting. I have seen some super rusted out stuff, but never seen a rusted out roof, except for on the web. Wheel wells, fenders, rockers, body cross members, yes.
In the northwest they rust from the top down.

·
Registered
1974? w-200 440/dana 60 swaped on 35s
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle Automotive design

it definitely needs replacing. On the passenger side above the door is really bad too but I’ve already cut that out and I’m in the middle of welding a new section in.

·
Administrator
62,044 Posts
In the northwest they rust from the top down.
I was thinking it might be more a northwest thing, but cannot remember where some of the others were from.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Let's not forget the fender where it meets the door and one to watch for is the tailgate release handle. I try to knock the nest down and let them move on. It usually works. Wasps and hornets eat the bugs that eat your plants, so I try to keep them around during the spring and summer. Most of them die off over the winter, so when they start eating all the fruit on the ground that has now turned to wine, they get obnoxious. So they die by spray can.

Yep i've seen the tailgate latch. I also had a big nest under the bed rail and they also like the cap I have over the bed.

I now live in endless summer so they don't die off in the winter here. I also haven't seen any trying to populate my tuck. One thing that did attract them is the color of my truck. Here is a picture of it when it was owned by the fire department:

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Beautiful^^^^
I guess the bed was added later?

Bucky

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,698 Posts
I never noticed that difference in the roof even after having 2 pickups and many R/C's.....
It's subtle. Along the front and the rear are more square than the '70's trucks.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,698 Posts
View attachment 630150
it definitely needs replacing. On the passenger side above the door is really bad too but I’ve already cut that out and I’m in the middle of welding a new section in.
That's in a bad spot for sure. Not an easy area to repair. How's the rest of the cab for rust? Because if you have rust in other areas then you might want to consider getting a new cab but if its onky rusted in that area then I would certainly graft in a whole section from another cab.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
it’s mostly not to bad. i actually had a complete extra can but i sold it a while ago. i will plan on watching marketplace till i see a part out and see if i can get that section. ill also make a post in a wanted section.

·
6,698 Posts
That yard in Arizona will sell you a section and mail it to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
what’s the name of the yard or do you have a link for it?

·
6,698 Posts
21 - 40 of 50 Posts