Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems the last few years with hummingbirds going into my shed and then never making it out.  It is a pole shed that I have a clear ridgecap on, so once they get in past the overhead door, they go all the way to the top because it looks like it is open and then they get stuck up there until they die.  We don't have feeders out anymore because of this and don't really have much for flowers around either.  I did notice them going in to check out the emergency release handle on the overhead door, because it was red, so I spray painted it brown.  Short of keeping the overhead door closed, is there anything I can do to deter them from going in?  We probably get about 1/2 dozen over the course of the summer that get stuck in there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
rubber snake

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Try a couple of those plastic owls at the entrance to the barn. They seem to work for my customer's garden.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Is there anyway to make an escapement up top that the weather won't come in ?

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mojack said:
Is there anyway to make an escapement up top that the weather won't come in ?
If I didn't have wind to contend with that could be an option, but anytime we get rain/snow and high winds it would just funnel down through that.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
The easiest solution, '85, would be to either replace or paint the clear ridge cap, being that's the key to this particular problem.  ;D

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is a brand new ridge cap that just was put on a month ago.  The other one was replaced because it would leak all the time.  The old one was not clear and they would still fly in there and get stuck at the top.  I surmise because it is a birds instinct to fly up and away when they get spooked, so naturally they go to the top...

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
This is a brand new ridge cap that just was put on a month ago. The other one was replaced because it would leak all the time. The old one was not clear and they would still fly in there and get stuck at the top. I surmise because it is a birds instinct to fly up and away when they get spooked, so naturally they go to the top...
Then an escapement is in order, '85, near the peak of each gable end which can be closed after the hummers migrate south for the winter. As long as the egresses appear brighter to the birds than the light filtering through the ridge cap, they'll be able to see them and fly out. ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts