Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i let my little brother drive my truck last night (77 power wagon). he calls me at 4:00 a.m. asd says the words no man wants to here, "i blew your motor". F*ck you little bastard, i knew we should have left you by the side of the river where me and mom found you :\'( ahhhhhhhhh :mad:. any ways i need to know what motor i have, here are the things i know ........

it is a 1977 power wagon

2 bbl

its 4wd

it says custom 150 on the side

the distributor is on the back side of the engine

it had factory a/c

its auto

i know it sounds bad i dont know what motor i have, but i bought it 2 weeks ago and the guy i bought it from didn't speak english. i have bought parts for it but it was stuff like cap, rotor, alt, where it was interchangable with the other motors from that year. thats what the guy at auto zone said at least. so thanks in advance for any responce. have a good day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
it would be a small block though correct? the distributors on the big blocks were in the front? Im guessing a 318. But.... :) what do I know -myers

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Look on the side of the block all motors big or small will have the size cast in it

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Distributor on the back is a small block. But as AMC360 said.. Why do you thinkk it's blown? Verify that it's done before you swap for another one. You may have less problems than you think. First time I though I blew a motor it was just the teeth shearing off the cam gear.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
the only for sure way to know what motor you have is look for the block identification #s that are molded into the side of the block. if its the 400 i dont know where that is but i have a feeling its in the same place as the small blocks. and verify that it is blown before you go replacing it. 383-440 the distributor is in the front, 273-360 its in teh rear. easyest way to visually check if its small or big. but other than seeing the size stamp there really is no other way of identifying it. because if the previous owner swappen in a smallblock in place of the 400 no one would know and parts wont fit right... thats just my 2 cents hope its not blown though ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well he got it hot and spun a bearing, runs but the knock is loud as f*ck. i look on the block by the starter and saw nothing. maybe its the wrong spot, all i say was a long ass seriel code or something by the freeze plug. the dist is in the back so its for shure a small block? are dodges like chevy in the fact that big blocks and small blocks can use the same tranny?

p.s. when i went to auto zone i bought a cap and rotor for a 318 and it fit, but they said it was the same part # as the 360. would it be the same on a 400?

p.s.#2 sorry for all the noobie questions but i've never owned a dodge

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
That long ass serial number tells you the engine you have. It first gives you the casting number followed by the digets 318 or 360 then a dash(-) followed by a number from 2 to as high as 16 i have seen.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I'll guess that it's a 318 because most Custom 150s were basic trucks with the Slant 6 or base V8. If I'm wrong, the only other V8 offered by the factory with the dist at the rear is gonna be a 360. So whether it be a 318 or 360 both will fit your automatic tranny.

If it's blown, now is a great time to replace a 318 with a 360 if the 318 is what you have.

are dodges like chevy in the fact that big blocks and small blocks can use the same tranny?
Dodge has been known to use the same tranny model on both big and small blocks (The 727TF) but the bellhousing for each is different and they are not removable. You can take out the guts from a small block tranny and put them in a big block tranny so long as both are non OD units.

Ed

·
Registered
253 Posts
chrysler300le said:
That long ass serial number tells you the engine you have. It first gives you the casting number followed by the digets 318 or 360 then a dash(-) followed by a number from 2 to as high as 16 i have seen.
sorry to bring up such an old thread but i have casting numbers 2536030 318-13 and i just wanted to know what the 13 means after the 318, thanks for you help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts