Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the transmission from my 1980 ramcharger sold and need it pull it out. how should i go about pulling it out? i wasthinking maybe i could unbolt it from the t-case and then pull the engine and the trans out together. does this sound like a good plan? i pretty much have a shade-tree operation (3-ton floor jack,gravel driveway,etc.)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
do this, unbolt engine from tranny, unbolt tranny crossmember leaving the two upper braces still on the truck...then just lower the tranny and tcase down together on top of a floor jack. My 727 and 203 were almost perfectly balanced on the crossmember.

this is how mine looked after it came out of the truck..

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
oh, and dont forget to support the back of the engine when you pull the tranny out...(or pull engine first)

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
WJ and myself pulled the engine first then the tranny and Xfer together. It was easier but if all you are planning to do is keep the tranny. Drop it out the bottom by itself.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
NOTABLAZER said:
i have the transmission from my 1980 ramcharger sold and need it pull it out. how should i go about pulling it out? i wasthinking maybe i could unbolt it from the t-case and then pull the engine and the trans out together. does this sound like a good plan? i pretty much have a shade-tree operation (3-ton floor jack,gravel driveway,etc.)
okay. you need to jacks an a few blocks of wood an at least 4 jack stands.

jack up the truck as high as your jack stands safely allow. shoot all the bolts that are on the crossmember with penetrating oil.
you keeping the engine in place i take it? since its not sold.

with the truck on the stands undo the driveshafts the speedo cable the linkage to the shifter an kick down an there is a 5/8ths bolt on the driver side that holds the shift rod to the trans. disconnect all lines an electrical. now start to loosen the crossmember bolts. dont take em off yet,

take off the trans dust shield (it faces the engine oil pan) an turn the engine over till you get out all 4 torque converter bolts. now undo the starter (leave it on the wire an hang it from the exhaust with a coat hanger)

loosen all the bellhousing bolts. the tops are 9/16ths an there are 4 of them. the lower is 5/8ths. you will have to remove the oils filter and the support rods that go from the engine to the trans.

now get your 2nd jack stand an a piece of wood an put it from the front of the truck an raise it up on the oil pan. slightly raise it so there is supporting pressure. the distrubutor will crush on the firewall if you dont do this.

remove the bellousing bolts. undo the cross member if an when the trans an T-case is supported on a jack be it adapted or trans jack.

slide it 2-3 inches back an lower. pull out from under the truck an get your money

depending on your truck you might have to remove the exhaust.

wanna guess what i did to weekends in a row? ;D

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
NOTABLAZER said:
thats sounds like a plan,thanks. i don't have the engine sold but i do want to pull that so i'll do that first. i guess i'll print this out and get to work!
its no fun doing it by yourself! get a buddy to help!

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If your just using a floor jack its alot easier to pull the transfer case off the transmission first then unbolt the transmission and leave the engine in place. With a transfer case connected the transmission will have a tendancy to roll while on the jack. I'm assuming this is a 208 transfer case. They can be unbolted before and brackets for the transmission are dropped.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
chrysler300le said:
If your just using a floor jack its alot easier to pull the transfer case off the transmission first then unbolt the transmission and leave the engine in place. With a transfer case connected the transmission will have a tendancy to roll while on the jack. I'm assuming this is a 208 transfer case. They can be unbolted before and brackets for the transmission are dropped.
well, i'm pulling the motor tomorrow (if all goes well). so i should just disconnect the tranny from the t-case and just drop the trans? that sounds like a good idea too. i'm not gonna be doing anything with the t-case yet so i might just wait until later to take it out.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
you have the trans input on the front of the Tconverter feeding into an engine flexplate. you have an input shaft feeding from the trans into the T-case. which one do you wanna jockey out of the way more?

drop the trans an T-case together. throw a couple of ratchet straps over the trans to the jack to keep it stable.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You should remove the t-case skid plate if you plan on removing the trans and t-case out the bottom. How are you going to remove the motor with a floor jack? Just be careful don't rush it and have the rambo safely lifted with jackstands/ramps. Another set of jack stands placed under it for back-up is a good idea. Mike

·
Registered
846 Posts
the only thing i've seen that's gonna be a problem is he said he's working on a gravel driveway, i did mine on a gravel drive way as well, with no floor jack, and no help. what a pain in the butt. luckily it was a 208 which isn't too heavy, i left the truck on the ground and layed under the transfer and unbolted everything the shaft supported it, then just pulled it off the shaft onto my chest, and rolled it off. i already had the engine out so no problem there, then i moved under the trans, using a few wooden blocks to support the front i took out a crossmember bolt and the upper support bolts on either side, then moved underneath the trans and pulled the last two bolts and lowered it onto my chest and shimmyed out from under the truck. took me about an hour for the whole thing, and i'm not a really big guy either had no problems.
my 203 on the other hand i'm gonna use a jack on when i put that back in, because just moving that joker around the shop is a bear let alone bench pressing that thing in.
shawn

·
Registered
846 Posts
ohh though about something else, for the bell housing bolts i got a 36" 3/8 drive extension and a u joint and i do them from the way back, always done them that way works great for me.
shawn

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
well how did it go?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.