Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get the rear shocks on after I do the flip? I just did the flip last weekend and I went to put the shocks on and I looked at it and things didnn't line up quite right becasue the axle is at an angle from the flip. I tried doing it from the top first, but that didn't work, but i didn't try it from the bottom first because I had to leave. So what is the best way to get those suckers on?

·
Registered
90 Posts
just how close are they? you can probably force them on. put a jack under the diff to compress the springs and lube up the rubbers. that might get them close enough.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They arn't close, at least when I had them mounted from the top. Because of the flip the axle is rotated so the lower shock mount rotated with the axle.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
This is how I did it: slide the shock on the bottom mount and put the nut on just a thread or two to keep it from coming off. Then fight with the shock while you try to slip the bolt in the top. It wasn't easy, but it's doable. When you go to line it up at the top, use something like an awl to help locate the holes. It's much easier than trying to slide the shock back and forth to get the bolt in.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
i didnt have any problems getting the shocks on after i did the flip.

do you also have lift springs? or did you remove the block when you did this? also, did you use a flip kit or did you use the factory front hanger to do your flip?

might aso try using some shocks designed to work with a lift. when i did mine i took off the stock sized shocks and went to some heavier duty shocks that were a bit longer than stock, this might have something to do with the ease of putting mine on.

eric

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got longer shocks and I don't have lift springs and I didn't remove the block and I did a flip kit. I figured it would probably be easier to start from the bottom first.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
intenseimages said:
i didnt have any problems getting the shocks on after i did the flip.

do you also have lift springs? or did you remove the block when you did this? also, did you use a flip kit or did you use the factory front hanger to do your flip?

might aso try using some shocks designed to work with a lift. when i did mine i took off the stock sized shocks and went to some heavier duty shocks that were a bit longer than stock, this might have something to do with the ease of putting mine on.

eric
I used the RCC shackle flip/extended hanger set-up and removed my block. I'm using stock springs and Rancho shocks for a 4" lift. I had to fight with the shocks, but they did go on eventually (and travel correctly).

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
The problem is the angle of the shock bolts. You can force them on, but with the angle you have, when the axle drops and rotates even more, you may snap the shock eye off, or at the best, go thru shocks bushing very quickly.

You need to relocate the lower shock mount to the axle tube. to eliminate this problem.

I sent in a how to last weekend on relocating this, and hopefully it will be up soon. I got all the stuff I needed to do this at the JY, and did some minor fabrication, and some welding. Check it out when it gets up....or I can email you some of the pics.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sure that would be great if you could email me those pics.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
OK, it's on the way...but it's big...I just sent you the complete how to...so you willhave to read it, and look at the pics, as they are not inserted in the text.

The file is 1 meg.....let me know if you can't read it.....I think the file is titled xmbrwlldns.zip

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts