Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone take a look at the pic of my rear hatch mechanism and tell me what I should be able to flip in order to be a lemon to turn off the lights while the hatch is open?  I’ve managed to do it a couple times, but seems like now the
black “button” doesn’t move at all, and I can pull the metal latch behind it forward to open the hatch but can’t press it in to close the hatch.  I see the metal is broken just above the black button but can’t tell if it’s the cause of the problem and, if so, what a good workaround would be, short of disconnecting the light altogether.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Just flip the latch at the side.  The mechanism will think the hatch is closed and the lights will be turned off.  Just remember to push the button on the outside to open the latch again before shutting it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Just put a switch on the brown wire or disconnect it. 

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you describe what needs to be flipped?  With the hatch cover open, from inside the truck I can pull forward on the piece of metal that surrounds the black button, but I can’t push it forward.  It looks like that piece is about to snap in two.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
You need to flip the latches on the sides of the liftgate. With the gate open, step back and look at the sides and you should see an upside down "U" shaped piece of metal. That is what contacts the striker in the door jamb and rotates down to latch the gate closed. When you push the button on the outside, with it unlocked, it releases those pieces to allow the gate to open. So if you open the liftgate, then rotate those into the latched position, the switch that turns the interior lights on will open and turn them off. When you want to close the liftgate, just push the button to open the latches again so they will hold the liftgate closed once it is shut.

I'd also be a little careful with those latch parts behind the access cover. Pulling that square piece will release the door latches, but yours is broken on the top and cracked on the bottom. If that piece breaks, you may never get the liftgate open again without popping off that access cover and releasing it manually. I'd look for either a Ramcharger somewhere that you can rob those parts out of or have someone weld that piece back together.

A little mod I do to my Ramchargers is to drill a hole in the access cover and tie a wire or piece of cord to the piece that releases the latches so I can open the gate from the inside. It also allows me to release the latches with just a tug of the cord when I close the liftgate as I normally keep the button locked at all times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terrific—thanks so much for those detailed instructions, and once I get that square piece fixed I will definitely use your trick of drilling through the access cover to add a pull.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Just pay attention to how mine is tied.  If you tie it on the top or more to the passenger side, it can hang up in the lock.  Keeping it low and to the river side seems to work pretty well.  I eventually replaced the wire in the pic with some parachute cord with a monkey's fist on the end.  Couple that with a strap or some more cord anchored by the cover's two screws and you get a handle to close the gate from the inside also.  Worked pretty well when I used to camp in the back of the Ramcharger years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure enough, that piece fell apart in the welder’s hands.  He thinks it will be simple enough to remove the whole mechanism, weld a new piece, and put it back together.  Hope he’s right!  Right now it doesn’t open from the outside even with the key.
I’m aiming to camp in my RC just like you did. I like the idea of having steel rather than nylon between me and the bears :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I just took my rear seat out last night, going to a big beach even this weekend and plan to use a full-size air mattress in the back.  I really need a roof rack so I can mount my spare up top and a few other things.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Nah, just camp in a trailer. ;D

Not enough room is one of the reasons I did the whole trailer thing. With the toolbox in the back, there isn't enough room to stretch out even with the seat out. And the toolbox is pretty necessary for all the winch related tools, chain, shackles, snatch blocks, etc. Eventually I hope to put my spare on the bumper with a matching bumper and spare on the trailer once it's done. Just need to win the lottery and I'm good to go. ;D

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I miss my M1101, I shouldn't have sold it. Maybe I'll get another one eventually, it was perfect for camping, I had the cover for it, but I didn't drive with it on, wind resistance was killer.

Ignore the front bumper, I've since built new brackets that raised it up.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I'd love to have one of those, maybe with a comm shelter, but way too much money for me to spend on something that will sit on the driveway 360 days out of the year.  But if I hit that lottery...  {cool}

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the piece welded but now it latches but doesn’t lock: the gate can be opened whether the lock cylinder is horizontal or vertical. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
If you look at the inside part of the lock, you can see it has a little lever on it.  When it's locked, the lever should not contact the release lever and should pass through the "window" in it.  When unlocked, it should catch on the top of the window and push it to release the liftgate latches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.