Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Gas gauge is funky and ran out of fuel in the tank and carb bowl so I lost prime to my brand new fuel pump, installed maybe 2 months ago. Trying to figure out how I can fill my fuel bowl on my carb to get the engine to run and pump fuel. Its a Holley 6280, anyway I can fill the bowl without taking the carb apart? I have attached a diagram for reference. I don't see those vents that you can pour fuel down like older model carbs have.

Starting fluid isn't cutting it ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Its been years since I messed with a 2280/6280, but might consider putting a mityvac on the fuel line after the filter and suctioning til fuel shows up.  Then squirt about 20  cc down the throttle bore and then crank.

Otherwise you need to take the 3 screws on the top cover off, just in front of the throttle bore and put some fuel in there. 

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jerseybud said:
Its been years since I messed with a 2280/6280, but might consider putting a mityvac on the fuel line after the filter and suctioning til fuel shows up. Then squirt about 20 cc down the throttle bore and then crank.

Otherwise you need to take the 3 screws on the top cover off, just in front of the throttle bore and put some fuel in there.
If I don't have access to a vacuum pump any other tips I might be able to use to get the fuel up the line? I took those three screws I think your talking about off and thatls where the accelerator pump is. Not sure if fuel is supposed to be in there, I know the bowl is below it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
You could hook a hose, and funnel to the vent line, and then while holding the throttle 1/2 way open  (opens the vent valve), pour fuel into the funnel.

Or the easy way, while someone is cranking the engine, pour a little gas directly into the carb throat. I usually use a spray paint lid (cause I have them handy), and then just dribble a little fuel at a time, to keep the engine running, and then the fuel pump takes over fairly quick.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, finally got around to really troubleshooting this. The pump I installed a few months back is a Carter pump and I think it just broke, it doesn't pump anything, Truck ran about 30 seconds with starting fluid and still nothing coming from the tank. I could also hear a small ticking sound from right in that area, dont think I wore a bearing during this short time... Then I put a line into a bottle filled with gas and disconnected the outlet to the carb and nothing came out the outlet. Seems to be a decent amount of play vertically as well. Carter is the most expensive pump I could find ( figured I get what I pay for... ), I just ordered a replacement one with warranty but I am thinking these pumps are just crap. Saw a youtube video online of someone having a very similar problem. Anyone have recommendations for a good mechanical pump for my 318?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yes , whenever any of my trucks ran outta gas , just putting gas in tank and cranking some made it run again , the problem is elsewhere , either the pump quit , OR  a small crack , or rust hole in the fuel line is allowing the pump to draw lighter air UP out of the tank rather than heaver gasoline . Often the elbow on top of the fuel tank rots ( dirt lays there ) and this happens .  Also note , I have never concerned myself with the brand of fuel pump in 45 years , for years I bought rebuilt pumps . ( doubt they are even sold anymore ) I guess we didn't know any better ? No cell phone computers to check other peoples opinions ? 
run a line from fuel pump into a gas can , try running it .... works ? suction line TO/FROM tank bad somewhere . still no workie ? pump gone bad . remove test , or use vac gauge on suction side . was there any gas leak from weep hole on pump ? if yes , change your engine oil as well ....

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
l gotta do this every time l start my plow truck , the check valve in the fuel pump is bad and all the gas drains back to the tank and the truck runs out of gas before the pump can pump it back up to the carb

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
no worries , soon you'll be using it often enough LOL

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
dodge82273 said:
no worries , soon you'll be using it often enough LOL
after the 5 inches of ice an snow an sleet l,ll be out there shortly , but first l gotta get the chainsaw out and cut the bent over trees down , picture below of some , its a mess up here on the Mtn , didnt get power back till sometime during the night , it was a COLD morning in the house

Attachments

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
better you than me , did that last year , could not tell where the driveway was for the saplings

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, finally updating this post. Holidays are crazy! No time to work on my toys ;D

So turns out it was a bad pump from carter. Hopefully the replacement lasts me longer than a month. Thanks for the tips all. Shes running real nice now :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.