Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
I think its gonna depend on what size tire, what gears, what kind of traction you got. Lotta variables. What are you planning or trying to do some other folks can give feedback.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
It also depends on how it's used.  The 9 1/4" is pretty strong as far as breakage but it's easily damaged and thrown out of spec, especially the pinion preload crush sleeve, which can be eliminated with the kit.  It still has issues with the side adjusters staying put and it's still a C-clip axle.  I tore the ring and pinion out of the 9 1/4" in my '84 Ramcharger, then had it rebuilt and tore the LockRight out of it and had to repeatedly tear into the one in my '88 W150 with a stock TBI 318, 4,56 gears and 39" tires since it would not ever stay in spec.  I refuse to use a 9 1/4" and replace them whenever I end up with a 1/2 ton truck that has one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truck is a '91 D150 with a 360 TBI and 904 trans. The rear has 3.55 gears currently and relatively stock 15" tires. (255-60's) I may upgrade the driveline to a 440/727 combo or a built 360/727 combo and was wondering whether I should change the rear to an 8.75 or if I can still utilize the 9.25?

G

·
It should be ok, ive heard of 8.25"s holding up behind big blocks. As long as your not using a trans brake you shouldnt grenade it too bad. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Elwenil said:
'88 W150 with a stock TBI 318, 4,56 gears and 39" tires since it would not ever stay in spec. I refuse to use a 9 1/4" and replace them whenever I end up with a 1/2 ton truck that has one.
Could it be the amount of leverage the tires and gears are putting on the axle that is breaking the diff components
scooby67 said:
The truck is a '91 D150 with a 360 TBI and 904 trans. The rear has 3.55 gears currently and relatively stock 15" tires. (255-60's) I may upgrade the driveline to a 440/727 combo or a built 360/727 combo and was wondering whether I should change the rear to an 8.75 or if I can still utilize the 9.25?
88_mopar said:
It should be ok, ive heard of 8.25"s holding up behind big blocks. As long as your not using a trans brake you shouldnt grenade it too bad. ;)
Once again. What size tire are you using? They put 9.25s in cars and trucks and even in one ton vans. It can hold up to the power. They have held up to big blocks. The thing to ask is are you going big as in big tires and gears or a street machine that will see a 30 in tire? Seeing as your running a D truck which is a 2x I think you will be fine. Especially since your not loading it down as a trail truck with tools, water, camping gear extra parts. That and the lighter weight in the rear end will make it a hell of a lot easier to spin the tires.

If you go with the 360/727 I would not upgrade. Just change the gear add a locker and be done.

If you go with the 440 I would question what you want to do? Drag race? How often, how fast how hard.

I really think you can use the 9.25 just fine.

8.25s lived just fine behind big blocks but they were mostly in cars, lighter weight, smaller tires. Easier to handle the loads.

Throw a heavy truck, big tires big gears into the mix as well as 4 lo and some big block power and you can really stress the components to break. Its gonna boil down to what you plan to do. A small block 360 with a 727. Be just fine. Dude I knew had a stroked 440 and a 727 and still ran a 9.25, that was in a 2x truck though, with a 29-30 in tire. Fully locked though cuz he dragged it.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
I even quoted it. Im a [email protected]$$.... What I should have said was what tires he plans to use.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. My use currently and in the future, is just a fast street truck. No dragging, pulling or towing. The current TBI 360 is OK, but as you guys well know, I'm up against a wall when it comes to tricking out this computer controlled powerplant. I may eventually ditch the computer and rebuild the engine and pop a carb on it, perhaps retaining the 904. Putting a locker in the 9.25 sounds like the thing to do, as from what you've said, it will hold up just fine for my use.
I have pics of the truck here: http://s665.photobucket.com/albums/vv14/Scoobydoo67/1991%20Dodge%20D150/

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Not really. Just depends on what you want to do. Be realistic with the expectations of the capabilities of that fuel system.

Jet makes a chip
Headers and a free flowing exhaust add power, if your inclined matchport your intake. Clean up your heads. If it flows better it breathes better. Add a hotter ignition. Burns better. All that will add power. Then clean and maintain your tranny. A smooth operating tranny will get the power to ground, add a shift kit.

Reduce the weight of the truck however you can.

Here is some cam choices also
comp cams

Cams are made for the 89-92 TBI computer controlled 360 engines. You usually just have to email the cam company and ask directly.

G

·
Swap to an overdrive tranny and you can run a much lower gear ratio and still be in a good rpm range at highway speeds. Something in the 4.10 range will really wake up that 360.

·
Registered
962 Posts
throw all that computer wireing garbage in the garbage get a nice carb threw it on top and put a 727 behind it and u will never have a problem. well unless u cuase them urself lol

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
s ǝoɾ said:
Jet chip= {dont}
x2!

I have one on my 90 Dodge W150. I think it was part of the problem I was having.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts