Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know off the top of yer head how much oil and R-12 goes into a '79 system with RV-2 compressor?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I believe its 4 or 8 oz of oil and 2 1/2 cans of freon. But r-12 is real expensive most of the shops here in az are just converting the 12 systems to 134. They sell kits to do it with the propper amount of oil and the 134 to do it in most parts store now.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Y, I sell R-12 for $30/can @ work. I converted my 88 RC to 134 a coupla years ago and it really sucks a big black hairy one. I have found another product to try. It replaces 3 oz of R-12 for 1 oz of this new stuff. IE - 8oz of HC12a = 24oz of R-12. It is supposed to be a lot more efficient than even R-12 is. R-12's boiling point is -21 deg F. 134a is worse @ -15. HC boils @ -30. It's 100% compatible with either oil and will work in all auto A/C (r-12 or r-134a). And it costs the same to charge with it as 134a. So I think I'll try it and see how it works. I'll post a review here when I get done. It's supposed to be even more environmentally save than 134. I'm sure I'm fixin to get flamed, but I personally don't give a flyin rats' ass about the CFC's or any of that. My one little system won't make any difference to the global warming situation the tree-huggers are up in arms about. What I care about is my A/C working really well while not costing me a kidney.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
from 69cents a can to $30 a can all taxes! I talked to a mechanic about recharging my 86 cherokee he told me that the going rate in AZ is $99/can. That i believe is the reason why you go in with a R-12 system blowin warm and you com out with a 134 system thats blowin .... EH not much beter than you took it in for in the first place and now you have the added bonus of a funny smell from the ducts AND a system that stops workin when your waiting in traffic at a light (can you tell i agree with the 134 system sucks)not to mension $200 lighter thank you!
I think im gunna get flamed also oh well
Wyatt

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
its about 75 a can here i believe. Your right though some systems converted to 134 suck. Systems designed for 134 originally work really good though. I'm not against people trying R-12 replacements. Just beware of how flamable they are. If it works out good, let us know.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chrysler300le said:
Just beware of how flamable they are. If it works out good, let us know.
The sad thing is that I actually contemplated propane for a coupla minutes :eek:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
MUDFLAP:

I am familar with this right at the moment as I am going to charge up my system with R12 next weekend. It takes up to 3 12 oz cans and one can of oil if your system is pretty much empty.

There have been several other postings about this recently, some of which I was involved in. Converting to
r134 can work but you have to make sure you do it right. If you have the slightest leak in your system the r134 will leak out easier than the r12 too.

Also, go here and clean out your suitcase:

http://ramchargercentral.com/boards/index.php?board=&action=howtoshow;id=45

I just did this today. Not hard.

Mac

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last summer I did the suitcase clean-out on my '88, hoping to find it was full of crap. unfortunately, it was clean leaving me no imporvement. My system will cool to 50 on a 100 degree day. not bad if you're in the front seat, but the kids still boil. when it was r12, it'd freeze yo ass out. I took a high-heat solder iron and "welded" in the piece of plastic i cut out. didn't need to make a cover and looks good. The system I am fixin to put in is in my 79 PickUp. I'm gonna use this new stuff i mentioned. if it works, i'll put it in my 88rc in a hearbeat

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
MUDFLAP:

Same here, I was hoping to find a suitcase full of crap in there too but I got about a 1/2 a cup of debris. Not really as satisfying an experience as I was hoping for. ::)

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why did you sell that '76 R/C? That was a bad-ass looking ride. The only 2 things missing were 4x4 and me.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
:)

I never did sell it after all. My son said he wanted it but he is being responsible and wants to buy it from me so that means I have to wait for him to scrape some money together. It's ok, I can wait too.

Mac

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.