Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
I'm new to this website and I have what most would probably consider a stupid question. I have a 99 Dodge Dakota SLT with a 318. I am in college so I don't have a lot of money and I'm working on it one thing at a time. I also don't know a lot about working on the engine of it but I'm trying to learn, ;D. Any ways, I put a K&N Filtercharger on it as well as straight pipes and traction bars. I have two questions. First, how much horsepower can the drive shaft handle max? And secondly, what would be the cheapest and most effective thing I could do to massively increase horsepower? I am thinking about getting headers installed and the purchasing a custom made computer chip to regulate and maximize my engines performance, but those things are expensive, ;D. Alright, well, thanks everybody for your patience with my stupid questions and for your help!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
to me.... the cheapest max HP-builder you can get is nitrous. you can get a kit for the truck that'll get ya 75, 100, or 150 HP gain. it's from NOS, and it'll run ya roughly $500, if you want a full tank. the shaft should be able to hold another 200 - 300 HP, shouldn't it, Brian? let's help out the new guys! welcome to the site!

jeff

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The stock shaft should be able to hold 400-500 HP easy in my opinoin. But if you are getting up there in the HP, then you have the money to get the engine up there...you should prob upgrade the drivshaft. Kinda funnny how stuff like that works isn't it :) Just like if you can afford to buy a Viper you can sure as hell afford to roast the tires

Mike

·
Registered
515 Posts
yes nitrous does seam like the cheapest way for quick horsepower, but the problem is that my work charges 5 dollar a pound right now, so every time you want it you have to pay for it.
I personally like Supercharger kits, sure they are a lot more money, but Air is free. And not to mentchin you can still do a lot of cheap bolt on shit that will work with it. Another great thing is it is emissions legal i belive everywhere, so you doon't have to worry about not passing inspection

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well to answer the drive shaft question first for reason 1 for reminding me that i still haven't made a new 1 and 2nd have 3 passes on stock factory shaft in a 3600 lb car that went 10.70 on a lazy pass behind a 500" indy motor making 740 to 780 hp w/no problem (1st and 2nd pass left it up to someone else to air down the tires so) 2nd nitrous is the easiest bolt on per $ for increased hp and torque

1 - 5 of 5 Posts