Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Just picked up a new (to me) ramcharger. Its an 88 2WD with a 318 tbi, an A-999 3 speed lock-up tranny, an 8 1/4 rear end with 2.90:1 gears.
I have a couple of questions. First, how much power can the TBI make? If I keep it, I want to be able to do some upgrades so the engine has a little more power. Does anyone build any performance parts for the TBI?
Secondly, right now, the truck runs, but at idle its so rich you can light the exhaust on fire. Also, it trys to die when in gear at a stop light. After I get the RPMs up, it seems to clear up. Any Ideas on why it would run so rich?
Also, the computer doesnt put out any codes, besides the normal 12 and 55.

I appreciate any help you can offer,
C.J.

G

·
Agreed. O2 sensor. CompCams offers a stock computer-friendly cam. You could maybe pull 230hp with the stock smec. A swap to 360 TBI/smec would allow support for at least 275hp...give or take. Not much to choose from, but it can be worked with to improve on what you have.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the replies everyone, I have a few freinds that suggested O2 sensor too, so I guess that will be one of the next things on my list.
Thanks,
C.J.

G

·
Opinions vary, but Mopar offered this as an upgrade in the early 90's, and it included a 360 TBI (with 360 injectors), template for opening the top of the intake just a bit to clear the slightly larger 360 TBI throttle blades, and 360 SMEC. They also included a Flowmaster-type muffler, but that's not necessary for the swap. The 360 kit would bump hp by 20, and torque by 30 lbs on an otherwise stock 318. Spacers tend to add from one rpm range and take from another. Typically, the goal is to improve upper rpm power, but a 4-holer is supposed to help low rpm response, but we're talking about 3-5 hp and lbs torque. If you don't want to grind the intake a little, an open spacer would let you give clearance to the blades. You will have to drill a couple extra holes to fit the offset pattern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts