Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having replaced my electronic distributor with new (not reman) I still seem to have a 1/4 inch of slop, and about 1/8 of vertical slop.
What goes into replacing the distributor drive gear? Would that be a combo of the drive gear and the timing chain slopped out?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the vertical is not a problem , 1/4 inch rotor rotation is also ok , what you don't want is side to side play too much .

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dodge82273 said:
the vertical is not a problem , 1/4 inch rotor rotation is also ok , what you don't want is side to side play too much .
Cool beans I got none on the side to side, just seemed like a lot of rotational play

·
Super Moderator
14,323 Posts
Rabbit929 said:
Cool beans I got none on the side to side, just seemed like a lot of rotational play
Timing chain. but if it's just 1/4" I wouldn't replace it yet.

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
The rotational is from the mechanical advances, and is normal. Worry when you see the timing jumping around about 10 or more degrees. And then it might just be the springs.

The pickup plate will also move around, that is because of the vacuum advance, and is also normal.

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
Rabbit929 said:
What goes into replacing the distributor drive gear? Would that be a combo of the drive gear and the timing chain slopped out?
Takes some fiddling to turn, and pull it out. Unless you can poke a large straight screwdriver in the slot, and see slop in the gears, it does not even need looked at. And if it does have play, it could mean a cam will be on your shopping list down the road. The timing chain has no part in anything at the dizzy. You would need to turn the dist shaft hard enough to turn the cam shaft, which is not a good thing to attempt.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all that’s one less worry on my list! Hopefully one day I will get a nice cam init, but for now just trying to get it to run right.
I get closer with every day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.