Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a new AutoMeter ProComp volt meter installed in the dash (do go with the oil press and water temp I added earlier). It's reading about 15.5 Volts. Isn't like 14.4 or so normal? Will 15+ damage anything?

I looked quick through my Chiltons but ran out of time before I found anything and haven't gotten back to it. The voltage regulator isn't real old and I cleaned the paint off the bolt hole and area before bolting it up so it should be grounding good. I've heard of bad grounds causing them to supply low voltage, but could it allow high too.

Also I haven't confirmed that reading with a handheld volt meter yet either. Plan to do that next chance I get.

·
Super Moderator
29,811 Posts
How cold is it outside while doing this check?
Charge voltage is variable depending on temperature 1/4" from regulator. According to my 86 FSM:
-20 to +80 degrees, it should be 14.9 volts to 15.9.
80-140 degrees, 13.9-14.6 volts
above 140, less than 13.9.
Maybe check it when your engine compartment is warm.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was colder at the time, but it didn't drop below 15 atfer the engine was warmed up totally and it wasn't all that cold outside (40's mabey). Haven't driven it much since last weekend, I'll keep a closer eye on it relating to temp.

Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
i would check with a hand held volt meter to see what it is doing. this will tell the tale, and if it is above 14.9 i would start checking things ie voltage reg balast resistor, ect ect just my .02

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
chrysler300le said:
15.5 is normal for colder months. 17 is unacceptable anytime.
This is true that the +/- 15.5 volts is normal. They even make "racing only" alternators and batteries for 16 volts.
http://www.performancedistributors.com/alternator.htm
http://www.racingjunk.com/vc/144463/null.html

You might want to verify that your new store bought meter is giving you an accurate reading with a couple of tests with a hand held digital multi-meter before doing a lot of trouble shooting!

·
Super Moderator
29,811 Posts
sig sauer said:
i would check with a hand held volt meter to see what it is doing. this will tell the tale, and if it is above 14.9 i would start checking things ie voltage reg balast resistor, ect ect just my .02
The ballast resistor has nothing to due with voltage at the battery. It only limits voltage to the coil.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My autometer runs 15.5 volts also. I have changed volatge regulators, altenators, and also installed a MSD ignition system. Still no change.
The slightly higher voltage reading doesn't seem to effect anything so I don't worry about it.

JD 8)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
hey its better to have too much than too little. its 40 degrees out side and mine reads 12.9 volts at about 1,800 rpm and the battery goes dead all the time.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
84 RC PROSPECTOR said:
hey its better to have too much than too little. its 40 degrees out side and mine reads 12.9 volts at about 1,800 rpm and the battery goes dead all the time.
You have a problem there. Normal batter voltage on a fully charged batter is 12.66 V at about 70 degrees i believe. If your only putting out 12.9 then your alt isnt' working that good or could be Voltage regulater. Most cars will run about 13.8-14.6 V at Idle. During Hot summer months with high temps under the hood its hard to get about 14.5 fully revved up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.