Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Just picked up a 77 ramcharger and it's currently lifted on blocks. I want to get springs under it but I don't know how high the current lift is any guesses? I think probably 6" it has 35's on the front and 36's in the rear.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Judging by the lack of room between the tire and fender i'd say it's got Stock Springs  ;)  Good Stock Springs that haven't Sagged i should add  8)  What you're probably seeing is the Stock Block in the Rear which is roughly 3.5" - 4" Tall

I can squeeze 40" Tires under my '76 with no lift, but it's a Tight Fit and wouldnt be much good for anything but mall crawling

·
Premium Member
13,528 Posts
can you pull off the left side wheels, place it on jack stands, and take a side pic?  We'd get a much better view of the spring's arch that way.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
I'd say it's at least a 4" lift, probably a 6".  Look at the amount of arch in the front springs.  No Ramcharger ever came with stock springs with an arch like that, lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe its on stock springs but there are added blocks if I remember I'd say the blocks are like 4" stacked on top of the stock blocks. So I guess my question is if I get the tough country 4" lift with springs and add a leafs would I be near the same height or would it be lower.

As far as the spring arch pretty sure they are stock as they are damn near flat with little to no arch and blocks are added front and rear

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
1bd75w100 said:
here's some more detailed pics of blocks I guess the front springs do have more arch then I remember

{cross} {popcorn} ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes I understand the blocks are ghetto thats why I am trying to figure out how much of a lift it is so I can figure out what size lift springs to get

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Most stock Ramcharger front springs are flat with no arch though some, like mine below get a negative arch over time:

You could run a string from the front spring eyes and draw it taught so it's flat and then measure down to the spring pad on the axle under the block. The distance between the string and the spring pad minus the thickness of the top 3 leafs should be a decent approximation of the amount of lift. What do you think guys?

Oh and yes, definitely get rid of the front blocks ASAP! They are very dangerous.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
1bd75w100 said:
yes I understand the blocks are ghetto thats why I am trying to figure out how much of a lift it is so I can figure out what size lift springs to get
Yeah well, we'll cut you a break this time since you bought it that way with the death package option already installed. :)

For $600, it was worth the risk, I'd say. LOL ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Are you saying yours is lifted with front blocks?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pic of the front blocks scared me too! Looks like the one is already startin to work its' way out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so it look like I might clear if I just take the blocks out. So I am going to take the blocks out for now and get a skyjacker kit in a few weeks

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Those are lifted springs in the front of it now.  The number of leafs and the style of the endcut on the leafs is not stock.  Based on the common lift sizes for these body styles by the big 4 or 5 manufacturers and the way the truck sits on the 35's thats about 6" or so of lift.  You already have 2" blocks in the front.

My best guess and I am fairly certain Im right is that the truck started with a 4"  and then someone later on down the road added the 2" blocks in the front to clear a little bigger or wider set of tires. 

I agree the blocks should go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i wanna see a pic of the block on passenger front. how do you block a dodge up front. the way the passenger side only has one u bolt and two bolts screwing down in the diff is scary to me by itself. cant imagine using longer bolts youd have to use to go with the blocks. when we were tearing down my w200 m880 after a hard new years ride i found one of those bolts to just be missing with the threaded part snapped off in the axle. crazy part was i drove it home maybe 70 mph.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Heh, one local idiot welded a stock type steel block to the front axle and then welded some bolts pointing upward to the sides of the block to attach the leaf springs and called it good.  It was very scary looking.  I wish I had a pic of it but this was back in the film camera age, lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts