Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what axle is on the back of your Ramcharger/Trail Duster?

What are the markings on a 9.25 axle? What kind of bolt pattern?

I'll post a pic later to make sure I have the axle I think I have.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
9.25 will have 12 bolts on the cover, 8 3/8" is 10 bolts, and 8.25" has no cover - the whole 3rd member comes out. A D60 would have hubs that poke through the center hole of the wheel, like your fronts.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
5,187 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I did a search and didn't find this discussion. Well my question is in regards to the Dodge 9.25 vs the GM 10 and/or 12 bolt. I've heard many a terrible things about the GM axles except for the GM 14 bolt which seems to be the standard axle that Blazer/Jimmy owners like to swap in. How does our 9.25 axle stack up to the GM axles.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
taz, your info is flawed.

the 8 3/8 is the same thing is a 8 1/4. they are both 10 bolt. they are both same axle. just chryslers way to confuse u. 5.2L vs 318.

the 8 3/4 is no bolts. welded diff cover.

the dana 60 is 10 bolt but a different shape and usually in trucks is 8 lug with protruding hubs.

the 14 bolt is more comparable to a dana 60. large heavy duty 1 ton type full floating axle.

our 12 bolt and their 12 bolt are almost comparable. not just because of diff cover either.

btw, many rc owners have swapped in gm 14 bolt. its a heavy duty axle but not as much cleance. they call em plow bottom. the bottom hangs real low and may need to be "clearanced" with a saw zall. literally cut bottom of case to make it flat and weld in plate metal.

the 9 1/4 is shaped like a stop sign octagonally. the 9.25 comes in either 5 or 8 lugs. both small and large bolt pattern 5 lug. no full floating with hubs tho.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
joe swinehart said:
the 9.25 comes in either 5 or 8 lugs.
Really? I guess you do learn something new everyday, because I never new the 9.25 came with 8 lug axles. Cool info! {cool}

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The 8 lug 9 1/4 are rare and are usually found in vans.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
chrysler300le said:
The 8 lug 9 1/4 are rare and are usually found in vans.
They were also used in some of the late model 2500 LD's.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
joe swinehart said:
the 14 bolt is more comparable to a dana 60. large heavy duty 1 ton type full floating axle.
actually a 14bolt is closer to a dana 70.

Duane

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
joe swinehart said:
taz, your info is flawed.

the 8 3/8 is the same thing is a 8 1/4. they are both 10 bolt. they are both same axle. just chryslers way to confuse u. 5.2L vs 318.

the 8 3/4 is no bolts. welded diff cover.
Hehe yeah, I guess I should start checking for typos before I submit things.. ;D That was supposed to say 8.75".. I didn't even know there was a 8.25" ring.. Did they actually have those?

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
891 Posts
joe swinehart said:
Well, while we're getting technical...
The 8 3/8 and the 8 1/4 are not the same. The 8 1/4 has an 8 1/4" ring gear, the 8 3/8 has an 8 3/8" ring gear (duh). However, they have the same exact housing and everything else is the same except the ring and pinion is 1/8" bigger. The 8 3/8 was the truck version of the 8 1/4, not that that 1/8" would accually make a difference in strength. It's still a slant 6 rear end and its noooo good for trucks.
And that is why I'm putting in a D70. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
MoparMurdoc said:
joe swinehart said:
Well, while we're getting technical...
The 8 3/8 and the 8 1/4 are not the same. The 8 1/4 has an 8 1/4" ring gear, the 8 3/8 has an 8 3/8" ring gear (duh). However, they have the same exact housing and everything else is the same except the ring and pinion is 1/8" bigger. The 8 3/8 was the truck version of the 8 1/4, not that that 1/8" would accually make a difference in strength. It's still a slant 6 rear end and its noooo good for trucks.
And that is why I'm putting in a D70. ;D
Don't call it a slant 6 rearend because alot of power wagons in the mid to late 70's had them. They can also handle 400 hp in a car.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
and while we are pointing out things, not all 9.25's came with the stop sign cover, some of them had a half octagon/ half round shape.

also, i know of at least one ramcharger (thesasquach's) that did or still does have a 5 bolt semi floating dana 60 in it.

eric

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
mopar murdoch, when replacing r & p for 8.375 try and find one listed. you cannot. they actually use same r and p. just called something different. both of my trucks have em and when i tried to find limited slip and rear gears i could not. until i found it actually used 8.25 stuff.

yes there are 8 lug semi floaters found in 2500 series and such. mostly vans as mentioned before.

i think the 5 lug dana 60s are either from cars or scouts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts