Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
26,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivetrain:
What size bolt pattern do I have?
That would depend on specifics of your truck/RC/TD.
On half tons:
2 wheel drive, all trucks up to 1985 had a 5 on 4.5 pattern, and after that, they had a 5 on 5.5 apttern.
On a 4x4, things get more complicated.
1975-79 part time 4x4 trucks had 5 on 4.5" pattern, trucks during this time with locking hubs had the 5 on 5.5" pattern
1980 and up use the 5 on 5.5 pattern
On 3/4 ton, and 1 tons, the bolt pattern is 8 on 6.5"

Additions to the site acronym decoder.
RC= Ramcharger
TD= Trailduster
Dak= Dakota

Engine:
What kind of fuel injection do I have?
1988-1991 3.9L V6 & 5.2 (318) V8 have a TBI system
1989-1992 5.9L (360) V8 has a TBI system as well
1992 and on 3.9L V6, and 5.2L V8 have MPFI
1993 and on 5.9L v8's have MPFI systems as well.

What Is MPFI and TBI?
TBI= throttle body injection. this system is similar to a carburetor, except that it presurizes fuel and injects it into the engine via two injectors placed above the throttle blades.
MPFI= Multi Point Fuel Injection. this system uses the same number of fuel injectors as the engine has cylinders, placed to spray fuel at the intake valves when the valve is shut. since the valve is warm from fuel combustion, the vuel vapourizes, when the valve opens the fuel vapour enters the combustion chamber where the fuel is burned. a throttle body controls the flow of air into the engine, and sensors allow the engine to determine the proper amount of fuel to be delivered to each cylinder

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
I have a suggestion. A lot of people ask what their bolt pattern is so they can get a new set of rims, so maybe the backspacing should be listed also. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
"Drivetrain:
On half tons:
2 wheel drive, all trucks up to 1985 had a 5 on 4.5 pattern, and after that, they had a 5 on 5.5 apttern.
1975-79 part time 4x4 trucks had 5 on 4.5" pattern, trucks during this time with locking hubs had the 5 on 5.5" pattern
"

I think the part I bolded should say 'full time' instead of 'part time'.

Otherwise, good FAQ stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
The bolt pattern part neglects to mention the 5 on 5.5" D44 1974 and before, what about us PowerWagon guys?

otherwise, :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
hardway42 said:
...what about us PowerWagon guys?...
You'll just have to do it the hard way! :p ;D

Sorry for interrupting the thread, but I just couldn't resist!

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I cant edit other peoples posts, but...
RCC_SaMiaM said:
Drivetrain:
On half tons:
197?-74 part time 1/2 ton had the 5 on 5.5"
1975-79 full time 4x4 trucks had 5 on 4.5" pattern, trucks during this time with locking hubs had the 5 on 5.5" pattern

Additions to the site acronym decoder.
RC= Ramcharger
TD= Trailduster
Dak= Dakota

Engine:
What kind of fuel injection do I have?
1988-1991 3.9L V6 & 5.2 (318) V8 have a TBI system
1989-1992 5.9L (360) V8 has a TBI system as well
1992 and on 3.9L V6, and 5.2L V8 have MPFI
1993 and on 5.9L v8's have MPFI systems as well.

What Is MPFI and TBI?
TBI= throttle body injection. this system is similar to a carburetor, except that it presurizes fuel and injects it into the engine via two injectors placed above the throttle blades.
MPFI= Multi Point Fuel Injection. this system uses the same number of fuel injectors as the engine has cylinders, placed to spray fuel at the intake valves when the valve is shut. since the valve is warm from fuel combustion, the vuel vapourizes, when the valve opens the fuel vapour enters the combustion chamber where the fuel is burned. a throttle body controls the flow of air into the engine, and sensors allow the engine to determine the proper amount of fuel to be delivered to each cylinder
I am not sure when they started using the open knuckle drum brake 5 on 5.5", but I think It was 70 or 71.

·
Super Moderator
2,405 Posts
dumb suggestion...

How about we tell people how to measure there bolt pattern rather than try to give them reasons for guessing.

summit has a guide that i can scan in on monday or tuesday. I will add it to this thread.

Just an idea

Pat

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Should there be an explanation of the CAD and what years it was on, etc? Sometimes people buy 4x4's that have different axles under them and the buyer doesn't know it. Measuring bolt circle will help.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How about a data base with all kinds of categorized info on
all Dodge trucks,say from....well what ever we can come up with. Everyone that has some info, or knows of good links could send this info in. After a while we would acrue so much
that we could start our own Data base. You could look up your truck and see what options it came with, different axles etc. As for the diff's I'm sure I can find a diagram somewhere that has all the different diff bolt patterns displayed so people could find out for themselves if they want to. Same with engines, tranfer cases, trannys etc. I'd be willing to put some time in on this.
Lay it on me...what are your thought ya'll.

Timbo

·
Super Moderator
9,459 Posts
The short answer is... good stuff is always welcome. Be careful about not swiping copyrighted stuff, but otherwise go for it.

·
Administrator
26,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ideally having a database set up where the member just enters in what he has and it spits out all info about that truck would be great. It would however take forever to get all of the information.

If anyone has ideas on how to do something like this let me know.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I for one am definately not a computer hound but I'll give it my best shot in getting info together. Smokey, good point. I'll keep that in mind.

Hey! My Bro used to set up databases for the military, hmmmmm.......... ;D

Timbo

·
Super Moderator
2,405 Posts
and here is how to measure your backspacing....

I have also heard alot of people ask what is backspacing so this will help clear that up as well

These were both taken from a summit racing catalog...

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Pat those sure are some good pics from the Summit catalogue ;D

Just messin...damn helpfull ones at that

Mike

·
Registered
775 Posts
dodge85rc said:
Should there be an explanation of the CAD and what years it was on, etc? Sometimes people buy 4x4's that have different axles under them and the buyer doesn't know it. Measuring bolt circle will help.
I think the center axle disconnect (CAD) should be included. THere's a ton of those axels out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts