Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice on halting the rust on my Ramcharger. I'm not ready to have the hole fixed yet, but I would like to keep the hole from getting bigger. What should I do stop the rust? I don't have any bodywork experience, but I do know how to use a wire brush and spray paint!

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
yea
i have been happy with the por-15 a little goes a long way
and it does cost i would get a pint or quart plus its on the out side of your truck you will need to get the cover piant for it
because the uv rays brake it down but it is easy to do and
you use a roller or brush if you like i can e-mail you some
pics of my floor pan before and after
i can send them late to night or tommrow

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
That much cancer has to be cut out, I won't try to even patch it. I'd cut it out then weld in new pannels. After treatment or repair, then put a system called "Electroshield" on the vehicle.

http://www.automobilenetmarketing.com/electroshield.htm

Actually if you put it on now it will stop further rust and corrosion in its tracks. It won't fix anythat has formed it just stops it from getting worse.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Here's what I did to get mine ready for a sticker. I couldn't have any holes or anything. Also, I never did any body work before and wouldn' know how to use a welder if I had one.

I used a pair of tin snips, sawzall, and an angle grinder to cut all the rot out. I went back as far as necessary to make sure I was into good metal. then, I used my drill and sanded the paint away from the edges to get to bare metal. Then I treated the metal. I used 2 different things that I got at NAPA. One was a spray and the other was a liquid. So far, they both have held up well.

After I got the metal all treated, I had to patch the holes. I tried 3 different ways. I used metal screen patches that had adhesive on one side and then covered it with filler. I used fiberglass cloth and filler. And I also got some sheet metal off a junked car and cut pieces of it to cover the holes. I then rivited the sheet metal over the holes and put filler around the edges. For filler, I used long strand fiberglass stuff. As far as what I would or wouldn't use again....I wouldn't use the little screen patches. The other 2 worked pretty well.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy POR-15 and treat the metal with that.

I had a lot of holes. Behind both rear wheels and my rockers were shot. And I mean shot, even for a Northern vehicle.

Here's a shot of one of the pieces of sheet metal I rivited in. This was before I smoothed out the filler.

Here's the other side.

·
Registered
397 Posts
get the grinder out.. if you dont have one a drill can be used .remove ALL bubbles down to shiny metal
a wire wheel and flapper wheel can also be used .80 grit
and spray paint will slow the rust
remove anything that can trap moisture.use a screwdriver to srape away also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts