Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, how big a tire can I put on my 90 4x with no mods. I'm gonna need new rubber before winter. Eventually I would like to put a small lift in it. Can't afford em both this year I doubt.

· Registered
71 Posts
I run 31's in mine no problem,you might maby be able to squeak 33's in there maby with just a tiny bit of rub on full turning radius.I see alot of trucks suv's and r/c with 33's so it would seem that it could be done with some very small conciquence.just my spare change good luck Mike.

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, I don't want to put smaller tires on now and then have it look funny if and when I get around to a lift. I was hoping for at least 31's.

· Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Based from 6 years as a tire monkey, 32" tires are about the largest diameter you can fit on any truck with stock suspension from the "big three". Most 4x4's come stock with 30.5" - 31" tires (245/75/R16 = 30.5" tall)

Depending on spring sag and wheel width, you may be able to get 33's in there, but they may rub when the front wheel is turned to the stop and you hit a good bump.

-SM

Forgot--the above applies to 1/2 ton models. 3/4 and 1-ton models usually sit higher than their 1/2 ton counterparts. 33's should fit a 3/4 or 1 ton with no lift.

· Registered
5,785 Posts
I ran 31's with no probs on my 85. I bet I could have fit 33's tho.

· Premium Member
9,468 Posts
36's ;D ;D

of course you didnt really mention that you wanted to drive it afterwards. lol they will fit but you wont be able to turn.

i agree that if all suspension components are in good shape ie: no spring sag good shocks etc, then 33's could fit

usually though almost everybody has some sag in the suspension so 31-32's are usually the limit with no mods

eric

1,880 Posts
on my old 90 ramcharger, i had bfg a/t 33x 12.5 on 8" wheels. no problems with street or minor trail riding.

· Registered
71 Posts
Yeah like I thought the 33's are ok in some and 31-32's are pushing thier luck in some trucks, lots of variables too.

Mine took the 33's pretty well with out a hitch except for a full tight turn then I had very lite rubbing on the fenders but nothing that was ever a problem.

Man I wish I could afford a set of 38's 14.5's I love little big tires lol.Rxt's cummins r/c would be so sweet with 40's or somthing crazy.No need for a jack just walk under there and start cookin.
take care Mike.

· Premium Member
1,648 Posts
But they always had to try them! Wouldn't listen to the tire guy.....right!!

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use this truck in my landscaping business. So it gets mulch rock etc. in the bed. Plus hauling a trailer around. So I'm thinking maybe I should stick with 31's. How would shackles respond to the wieght from a load. By the way it is a 1/2 ton. No sag to speak of, the shocks I'm not so sure of, they obviously have been on there quite a while and I expect they will be needing replaced one of these days. Thanks for the advice. Oh and yeah I kinda do need it to roll down the road.

· Premium Member
3,185 Posts
1/2 ton that carries a load almost daily....I would get an overload spring installed in the spring pack (or an air bag "helper" spring) and run Load Range E 31x9.5/R15's You could fit 31x10.5's, but the wider tire will hurt your mileage more, and narrower tires generally carry loads better.

-SM

· Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I had thought of overload springs or helpers. My one negative thought is the rucks I have seen with them, running around with thier a** in the air and thier nose down. Like my Duster in highschool. Loads aren't daily "unfortunately". I really would like to go with a bit wider tire. Still got a little kid left in me I guess.

· Premium Member
3,185 Posts
If you get air helper springs, the rake will not be affected when not carrying a load if you let the air out of the bags. While it may be a PITA to deflate/inflate the bags all the time w/o an on-board compressor, you can route air lines for the bags to your bumper, so you can pull up to a service station and charge the bags with whatever psi you need for hauling. Food for thought.

-SM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.