Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a fairly stock 318. at least i think i do. Its a 78 engine. it has headers, edelbrock intake, and holly carb. Im looking for a good cam that gives me bottem end power for offroading. I wanna go with the biggest one i can run, with stock heads and etc... I want a rough idle so u can hear the cam in there. Thanks for the help. Then engine is in my 84 r/c if that helps.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
i like the mopar performance cam with .430/.450 lift and 260/268 duration. Real strong cam down low all the way up to 6000 rpm

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You want to use the regular length cam (about 20" or so). If you use a cam longer than this it will hit the fan. A shorter cam will just rattle around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well in my 318 which i just built, i wanted a split duration cam of about 270 but the people i ordered it from gave didn't have any in stock so i opted a comp cam with a single pateren of 470 lift. I had to get a stall converter but i have had no probs on the street or in the mud and you can hear the cam real good.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Bummo said:
You want to use the regular length cam (about 20" or so). If you use a cam longer than this it will hit the fan. A shorter cam will just rattle around.
lmao

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whats a good website that sells the mopar performance cam?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
www.manciniracing.com is cheaper

·
Registered
620 Posts
wish i knew that when i was shopping for mine. i could've saved about $10. got mine through Jegs

·
Registered
31 Posts
phone up any of the cam people (comp cams summit racing etc) and ask them. They will want to know the compression ratio(about 9.0:1 is stock) gear ratio, tire size, and they will tell you the best one for your purpose.
You dont have to buy their cam, and you will get expert advice.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
lost1 said:
phone up any of the cam people (comp cams summit racing etc) and ask them. They will want to know the compression ratio(about 9.0:1 is stock) gear ratio, tire size, and they will tell you the best one for your purpose.
You dont have to buy their cam, and you will get expert advice.
Ha! Don't we wish 9:1 was stock.... Stock was more like 8.2:1-8.5:1 in the eighties and early nineties. Late seventies was probably more like 7.8:1.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts