Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my idle issue figured out the ol' girl has been driving like she was new off the floor. Except for the last few weeks whenever I get on the highway or interstate. The issue arises, only sometimes, and it can be intermittent but it is beginning to happen more frequently. When the truck shifts into OD she cruises but sometimes it's like someone presses the OD OFF button and she will kick down, then kick back up after a few seconds. It never stays kicked down for more than 5 or 10 seconds. It's like the truck thinks I'm giving it more throttle and then settles down. It hasn't happened with the cruise control on. Could it be a faulty dash switch or maybe a bad sensor. I'm leaning towards those two because it is so intermittent. Does anyone have any insight?   

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
Have you adjusted the kickdown linkage lately?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That I have not sir....

I shall search Google(nothing has popped up using the search function here)

·
Registered
65 Posts
ViperTruck said:
Ever since I got my idle issue figured out the ol' girl has been driving like she was new off the floor. Except for the last few weeks whenever I get on the highway or interstate. The issue arises, only sometimes, and it can be intermittent but it is beginning to happen more frequently. When the truck shifts into OD she cruises but sometimes it's like someone presses the OD OFF button and she will kick down, then kick back up after a few seconds. It never stays kicked down for more than 5 or 10 seconds. It's like the truck thinks I'm giving it more throttle and then settles down. It hasn't happened with the cruise control on. Could it be a faulty dash switch or maybe a bad sensor. I'm leaning towards those two because it is so intermittent. Does anyone have any insight?
I had a '93 Dakota I bought new. It would do that at times and sometimes the OD would just shut off. The switch was replaced under warranty and it mostly went away. Every now and then, it would kick out, but mostly the truck ran good for well over 100K. Try replacing the switch and be sure to use a little dab of dielectric grease on the connections.

A bit off topic, are you a SeeBee?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
grouch said:
I had a '93 Dakota I bought new. It would do that at times and sometimes the OD would just shut off. The switch was replaced under warranty and it mostly went away. Every now and then, it would kick out, but mostly the truck ran good for well over 100K. Try replacing the switch and be sure to use a little dab of dielectric grease on the connections.

A bit off topic, are you a SeeBee?
If the kick down linkage adjustment doesn't work, I will try that and no I am not a great warrior, my Father was/still is a Seabee, he retired after 26+ years of service to this great country.

BTW- I "/still is" because I believe that you can not live and breath something for that long and just stop one day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ViperTruck said:
If the kick down linkage adjustment doesn't work, I will try that and no I am not a great warrior, my Father was/still is a Seabee, he retired after 26+ years of service to this great country.

BTW- I "/still is" because I believe that you can not live and breath something for that long and just stop one day.
The kid is married to a SeeBee. I've been down there several times. I marvel at the vacant concrete pads that were houses before Katrina. I also marvel that anybody can drink the water down there Nice people, decent weather and I like the beaches on the Gulf. Just the water is a bit....formidable. Maybe I'm a wimp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
grouch said:
The kid is married to a SeeBee. I've been down there several times. I marvel at the vacant concrete pads that were houses before Katrina. I also marvel that anybody can drink the water down there Nice people, decent weather and I like the beaches on the Gulf. Just the water is a bit....formidable. Maybe I'm a wimp.
My little slice of paradise, I have the best of both worlds, my parents have some land in the county about 15-20 minutes North of the beach that is quiet and secluded, barn, nice size pond, I can escape up there after a crazy week, shut the phone off and relax but I love the beach so I live 2 blocks off the beach in a humble little coastal house. Water is rough and I have to be dying of thirst to drink anything that wasn't run through a filter or bottled. Have you come down for Cruisin?

·
Registered
65 Posts
ViperTruck said:
My little slice of paradise, I have the best of both worlds, my parents have some land in the county about 15-20 minutes North of the beach that is quiet and secluded, barn, nice size pond, I can escape up there after a crazy week, shut the phone off and relax but I love the beach so I live 2 blocks off the beach in a humble little coastal house. Water is rough and I have to be dying of thirst to drink anything that wasn't run through a filter or bottled. Have you come down for Cruisin?
I'm not much for going out on the water. I live two miles from the Ohio river and was a rescue volunteer for 10 years. I've pulled too many people that got careless out of the water, or searched for them and never found them, to like the water. Granted, the Gulf is more tractable than the Ohio. Still, water I can't see the bottom of is something I avoid.

We head down to visit the kid, her husband and baby 2 to 4 times a year. Something I marvel at is how many retired SeeBee's live around here. I worked with one (until he retired) who was in the reserves and got two purple hearts in Vietnam. I bought my truck from a retired Seebee and bought a trailer to pull behind my bike from another.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.