Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hood release handle broke in my hand...I think I can source a dorman hood release cable/handle but wanted to know if anyone knew of just a replacement handle and/or had fabricated a workaround.  TIA!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Maby this

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a lot of clams for me - I'd have to stick with using a pair of pliers at that price!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Gotch ya , nearby scrap yard??? Could probably get it for like10 bucks.

·
Super Moderator
2,156 Posts
That's where I got mine.

Maybe consider this until ya get a final fix in place: take a coat hanger, straighten it out, cut it to length. Feed it down through the opening in the rad support and bend / hook one end to release lever on the latch. It's a quick and dirty way of installing a [backup] manual release. I ran mine like that until I scored something in the yard because the cable was frayed somewhere under the hood. Never did break but I was ready if it did. Dunno how likely it is that yours will break a 2nd time, but you know this guy named Murphy.

·
Registered
763 Posts
RWG75 said:
That's where I got mine.

Maybe consider this until ya get a final fix in place: take a coat hanger, straighten it out, cut it to length. Feed it down through the opening in the rad support and bend / hook one end to release lever on the latch. It's a quick and dirty way of installing a [backup] manual release. I ran mine like that until I scored something in the yard because the cable was frayed somewhere under the hood. Never did break but I was ready if it did. Dunno how likely it is that yours will break a 2nd time, but you know this guy named Murphy.
Haha that is what I have on mine currently, haven't hooked up the hood release yet in the cab. My wire is hanging out from in between the grille.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RWG75 said:
Maybe consider this until ya get a final fix in place: take a coat hanger, straighten it out, cut it to length. Feed it down through the opening in the rad support and bend / hook one end to release lever on the latch.
Brilliant! Will do - this is on my 1979 DD, don't want to spend too much $ on it - just want it functional (my others are going to be the restomods). I was looking at trying to drill a hole in it and put a pin or something. This should get me by for now. Thanks a $1M, guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought a doorman handel kit, and some bike brake cable and made a cable. The jacket of the original cable was destroyed, the bike brake cable jacket replaced it. Works good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Had nothing but trouble on the hood release cable. Stumbled on an earlier manual lever in a salvage yard. Spent less than $20 and switched it back to manual release lever behind the grill.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
AzTrailduster said:
I bought a doorman handel kit, and some bile brake cable and made a cable. The jacket of the original cable was destroyed, the bike brake cable jacket replaced it. Works good.
Now there's a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.