Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I drove my 1982 Honda Civic I could hear a metal on metal grind coming and going rythmically, and on further inspection decided it happens when I spin the right rear wheel.

I took it to Les Schwab, and they said the fronts are fine, but the rears are sealed and they wanted me to make an appointment with the brake center to have them checked out. What is the problem? I think it may have something to do with the emergency brake, but I'm not sure, could just be the pads or something else...

derek

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never done brakes before...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Really not that difficult. Don't be afraid to at least pull the tire off and the drum should just come right off. The tire should hold the drum on. You may have to help it by tapping it with a hammer and prying it a little.

Why do you think that it's the e-brake?
When you're rolling, and you pull the e-brake, does it slow you down at all, or not? If not, your e-brake cable may be seized or return spring broken. Even though it's grinding, it should still slow the car some.

And once you remove the tire & drum, turn the axle by hand or put the wheel back on (without the drum) and see what you get. If it grinds without the drum, probably gonna be the bearings.

Gonzo

·
Registered
162 Posts
I can't remember if this applies to the 82 Civic, but take a look at the drum after you pull the wheel off. There may be two 6mm threaded holes in the drum. If there is, you can thread in 6mm bolts that will push against the hub and help remove the drum. If the drum hasn't been off in recent history, you should use some penitrating oil and gently tap the drum. Don't beat on it. On a 82, you might find that the e-brake cables are seized. The grinding you hear is most likely just the metal backing on the shoe rubbing on the drum. But as suggested, check out the bearing. You should also check out the other side and when you're in there, make sure there isn't any brake fluid leaking from the wheel cylinders. You can peak behind the seals (dust covers) on the ends of the wheel cylinders to see if they are starting to leak. If there is any sign of leakage, you may as well do them while you're in there.

·
7,995 Posts
Hey BurnOut..go to www.autozone.com and plug in your Civic like you are gonna search for parts and then click on "Repair Info" and follow the links to the brake section...they do give some instructions on how to remove the drums, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts