Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading up on other sites about guys not wanting to spend the money on buying racing fuel and mixing their own, using pump gas and chemicals.
One was said using 93 octane pump gas, and adding Acetone, from a hardware or paint store...also they were looking at a website for large amounts of acetone and other chemicals. By adding these chemicals with the pump gas like a 12 to 1 ratio, they claimed that 93 octane could be made up to 102-103 octane.

So in this i was wondering if any of you have read about anything like this, or if it would be safe to run pump gas mixed with Acetone? Or if anyone had done this before?

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
I ran acetone in my Dakota for awhile hopping to get a little better mpgs out of it. It didn't help and it didn't seen to run any better.  {noclue}

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
My step brother used to drive around with a gas tank full of some wild toluene-xylene blend. It did allow him to get away with 93 octane, but that's about all I can say.

These prices have long since been obsolete:
http://ramchargercentral.com/index.php/topic,14822.0.html

As a matter of fact, you can't hardly buy toluene any more. Acetone is pretty weak relatively speaking.

Unless you have a weekend warrior car with a super hot engine, I don't think this is for you.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Sunoco 252 - 151 Rum & 101 Wild Turkey!    oh, sorry.  ;D

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Acetone does very little for octane, 3 ounces to ten gallons of 93 raises it's octane rating just enough to ward off detonation in my 10 to 1 440.

Water/methanol injection is far better and cheaper and less likely to blow up, water injection can make 87 act like 107+.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another option for high octane would be e85 (105 octane) though you would need a modified carb (several companies specialize in these or you can get a kit for some holley carbs) you would burn 10 -15% more fuel but it can handle 12 to 1 compression.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i was reading online on another site Joe, and about this Wild Turkey and 151 mix...tell me more about it...lol ;D and im just runnin it in a stock TBI 318, but its a mud machine play toy, but it smells good when it burns and i like it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts