Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as of yesterday my 1977 Powerwagon is up & running with this system. I bought it (Holley #502-20-S) from Summit Racing for $769.00. The kit comes with everything needed except for fuel line.I started the install a couple of months ago and did the majority of the install in one day, working a total of 8-10 hours. All that was left after that first day was running fuel lines (new supply line + return line) and installing 2 wires. Dropping the gas tank was a PITA so i ended up removing the bed from the frame. Best move I made! I bought steel fuel line, a tubing bender, cutter, and borrowed a flaring kit. I ran all new steel 3/8" fuel line from the new fuel pump all the way to the throttle body. I used the factory steel line as a fuel return and put a fitting in the factory filler tube as recommended. The fuel pump wouldn't have been done right with the bed attached. I also took the opportunity to replace the fuel senging unit in the tank. Now I have a functioning gas gauge. The last wire I needed to hook up powered the entire system amd I had to find a wire that was 12v hot during ignition on & crank. Thanks to a post in the vehicle help board I finally found that wire last night. I had fire extinguishers handy as I somewhat expected the worst. Well, no fuel leaks and started up right away. The electric fuel pump is quiet and I'm sure it helped that I bought extra rubber grommets that I used when attaching to the frame rails. I got the entire system tuned up this morning. Tuning was easier then I ever expected. I know several people give this system a bad rap but I am 100% happy with it. Performance has definately increased over the Carter 4bbl I had on it and the hard starting is gone. I think most of the complaints are due to cutting corners on the install. If anyone's interested later I can update with mileage numbers, although I don't have any idea what it was prior to the install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, the Holley Truck Avenger carb is almost $400 bucks and doesn't come anywhere near eliminating fuel delivery problems when wheeling. My truck now starts easily every time, has more power & runs cleaner so now I can pass smog checks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Also you have to remember this system is made to be better then an OEM system. Its made for preformance and efficiency and is a lot less complicated then the TBI and computer that Dodges came with. It's also more adjustable.
I'd like to know what kinda milage your getting.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I really dont think that the tbi is all that bad.... I think it is pretty simple when it comes right down to it.......... I think the projection is cool though.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.