Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with Holley Pro-jection TBI on a Chrysler motor?

Specifically, I'm looking at installing it on my 87 Ramcharger, 318, 727, 4X4.

Looks like I need a 4 bbl intake, new distibutor w/ vacuum advance and the Holley kit, anything else?

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The closed loop extension so you don't have to play with it

·
3,752 Posts
Which 4 barrel system, it is pretty easy to get too big of a Holley system. What kind of power is you 318 making now, and are you upgrading anything else on it to make more power when you put the injection on?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
ramdawg, i have a holley 2bbl w/big inj and closed loop kit on a 440 mh. run good, but not a race vehicle by any means. in my opinion a far better route would be a dodge/holley tbi from a 360 and if you have the time/skills to build a megasquirt kit controller. ms is a completely adjustable system via a laptop pc. includes fuel control, O2 control and w/some enhancements will control ign. 360 or 318 tbi can be had for cheap from carparts.com. i also have a megasquirt sy using a 900 cfm holley tb on a warmed up 440. this thing is awsome to drive. check out megasquirt at megasquirt.com for all the info you will ever need. gunpilot on this site has a lot of info posted. good luck --sheriff--

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had the holley pro-jection system on my rc, it was the 670cfm system. I could never get it tuned right. I think its just to big for a 318. After a few calls to holley about it, with no results, I took it off and put a carb on it. Id look into the system sheriff is talking about.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I looked at the megasquirt website and that looks really involved and quite honestly, I'd be nervous to take the truck anywhere for fear of that computer!

The other day I drove a newer Ramcharger with the throttle body injection and was quite impressed with the quick start, fast acceleration and power as compared to my truck with the Holley 2 bbl and lean burn system. And we are talking two comparable trucks in gearing and weight with stock engines. So I was looking for a way to "update" my truck and found the pro-jection.

Maybe a lean-burn ectomy is all I need.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
i have been running megasquirt for about 8k miles on my 440 eng truck. it has never left me stranded. i did have some problems to start with using 4x low z injectors. twice i blew the inj drivers, but supriseingly it would still run --not well but got me home. i have since installed the flyback board and have had no further problems. i have a security blanket also. i still have the 89/360 computer installed and with a couple of changes i can run 2x of the inj on it. (just in case) i am not dis-satisfied with the projection on my mh. only thing is you need to match the injector size to the engine. the closed loop is a help but does not work at full throttle. i found it pretty easy to adjust. i would be careful of the projection systems on ebay. most times it is as is condition which could mean anything goes. for used electronic eq i think in most cases they are overpriced. anyway good luck --sheriff--

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Ramdawg,

I did not have that good of luck with my Holley Projection on my 318. I even went so far as to rebuild the harness, but I was not able to tune it, and I believe that the fuel regulator is allowing too much fuel either mechanically or electronically. I have replaced the whole deal with an Edel 1406 and am still not real happy yet, (need to get the choke wired) but it is an improvement over the Pro-Jection as it is simplistic.

If you are interested, I will sell you my set-up with closed loop, fuel pump and all. However I would not recommend it for more than parts. Maybe I am over reacting, as it may be just too big for the 318.

Anyway if you do a Projection on your ride, I would recommend a Bouchillon Performance 727 kick down kit.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
injectors are avail in sizes to support 3.9 v6 (blue top) thru big blocks (85#). (white top) i think 3.9 inj are 45#, not sure but i think 318 are 50-55#, 360 are 65# (green top). all size injectors will fit a projection or dodge tb. takes about 5 min to change out a set of injectors on a holley/dodge tb. hope this helps --sheriff--

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have a Megasquirt running my 1990 360ci Ramcharger. I had to up the injectors in the stock tbi to Holley 86 lbs/hr units. I frequently have heard less than complimentary feedback on the pro-jection units. It is usually about the controller not the tbi unit. You are right about the quick starts and smooth warm-up. It really runs great.. I recommend the system if you're up to the building and install!
Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts