Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a 750 would be to much carb for my 318? I am only planning on running headers, exhaust and some ignition upgrades. I have it siting around, it needs to be rebuilt but what the heck. Also what intake manifold should I run?

Thanks,

Augie

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it might be over kill for that application. I have a 360 with headers, RV cam and an edelbrock performer intake. I run a Holly 720 double pumper, its a little too much gas so Im going to try and go to a single pumper. I would probably run a 650 if I could on a 318. You will need to jet it out correctly, maybe even put a little bit of a restriction on the carb to help reduce air flow.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
what model of holley is it?

if a vacuum secondary, then it could be made to work ok, not great, but ok.

if it is mechanical secondary i would say it is definitely to big for that 318.

a 600 or 650 would be a much better choice for a decently built 318. for a stock 318 i wouldnt go to far above a 500

eric

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I agree with eric.. if it's mechanical secondaries, it woould have a tendency to bog down like the old dual quad 318's would. But other than that, I think you could tune it to run quite well.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I agree with what has been said for the most part.

BUT

I have run a 750/780 cfm holley on a 318 and it ran better than the 600, even gave better mpg.

I did have to change pump cams and squirters tho.

the 750 is a very good carb, and it can be made to run well on many engines, but unless you are adept at tuning them, stick with a 600 vac sec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.