Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for my freind, who is too lazy to bother to sign in...lazy bastard...Anyway, we found a hole in the bottom of the block of his truck. It's near the rear of the oil pan on the passenger side and is about the size of a quarter. You can see all the way up into the block. I assume it's some kind of freeze plug hole that blew out the plug or something...I don't really know, but it sure explanes massive oil leak and oil pressure issues...help

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
well the freeze plugs are all in a row across the block cept the ones in the rear of the block ..... umm....if it'sa nice round hole like u said it's a freeze plug that fell out .... u can get the expansion freeze plug to stick in there for now ....

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Isn't there a casting plug hole that opens into one of the oil passages...?

Not a "freeze plug" (which are actually casting hole plugs too) as they only open into the water jacket around the cylinders, and you'd loose all the water, not oil.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
U mean the valley plugs right ? yah it's possible one of those came out duh he said OIL !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my friend says that it is near the oil filter...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Actaully I was way off, I looked again today and its on the Drivers side, in between the starter and the oil pan, It is is bordering right on the edge of the oil pan and is lined up with about the middle of the starter.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If it is bordering the oil pan you have a need for a new block, more importantly is what caused it

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but it's a perfectly round hole, Like it was bored there... there is less than 4k on this block...

·
Registered
30,059 Posts
FMJ said:
Actaully I was way off, I looked again today and its on the Drivers side, in between the starter and the oil pan, It is is bordering right on the edge of the oil pan and is lined up with about the middle of the starter.
l.m sitting here stairing at a 360 block and yes there is a cast hole on the drivers side that go.s nowere but into the bellhousing area / if you have oil coming out of this hole either yer main seal is gone or one of the oil galley plugs fell out

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Grayguy said:
but it's a perfectly round hole, Like it was bored there... there is less than 4k on this block...
You are saying it is on the side of the block correct, but just above the pan mating surface? correct? not in the back of the block between the flywheel/flexplate and the block right?

If you have a digi cam take a picture and send it or post it, but on the side of the block just above the pan rail you have a problem then, since the freeze plugs are up higher than along the oil pan rail.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That hole is nothing but a cast hole for like a mount for something i forget what too, there is no oil coming from there , and if it is it's the valve cover or oil sending switch

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Have same hole in my 360. Its clean and not covered by the pan. I suspect that if a freeze plug, or an oil passageway plug, or a seal on the front end of the tranny goes it would be easier to spot coming out of a big hole like that than waiting for it to fill the bell housing an come out any kind of smaller hole! Just a though, dont' know for sure. I can't see it being for anything else! Unless its a clutch plate air expansion and breather hole left in the castings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts