Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1977 M880 is running 20+ year old tires on the stock rims (16.5 in dia).  The tires are dry rotting and I want to replace with newer.  I like the look of the stock rims so I'm trying to find similar all terrain tires in the 16.5 inch diameter.  I would really like to go with the HMMWV tires that are in plentiful supply, 37/12.5 R 16.5.  My question is: has anybody else done this on their stock M880 style Power wagon without body lift mods?  Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I believe 37s are a bit too large for an M880 with no lift. You'll need at least 4 inches to clear, 6 would be better.

Next, H1 Humvee rims have some serious positive offset. You're gonna need spacers to maintain the stock track width and clear the front calipers.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
I doubt you can run 37s without a decent amount of lift. Typically you need a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift to clear 35s. I run 37s with no lift other than what I gained from swapping in D60s, but I cut the hell out of my front fenders to clearance them.

If you do end up going for the surplus HMMWV 37s, make sure you only buy the Goodyear MTRs and not the older MTs or the really old 36" bias ply Wranglers. The BFG Bajas I have no opinion on. Now matter which you choose, educate yourself on the date coding used and make sure you are getting tires that are not old as hell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.