Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my fuel level is all messed up. Prior to the hole hitting, my fuel guage was reading about 1/2 full. After the hole, it was about 3/4 full and now it is a little below full. I did not put gas in it if that is the question. My issue is could the fuel sending until be FUBAR? Thanks Birk

Well upon driving this AM, I noticed a smell of fuel. Stopped to get coffee and checked. Got fuel running down the back of the tank. Looks to be coming from the sending unit seal. Of course I did not change that upon installing the tank, Autozone does not carry it. What can I use? The one that is on there now is a cork type, circle in shape. As soon as PT is over, it will be parked until I can work on it today.

Thanks Again

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that I could wish for the just sticking part. I have to drop the tank to get to it but Autozone and PartsAmerica do not have this fuel level sending unit. Just one more damn thing to do on the beast

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Are you sure the fuel level is at 1/2 tank? When was the last time you fueled up? The bump may have UN-stuck the float...

What I would think is more likely is the bump broke the gas tank ground wire (or knocked it loose), redering the sending unit inoperable.

-SM

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that ground wire near the fuel tank? I filled up about a week ago, I get about 115 to 1/2 tank so I know that it is not full.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
The ground wire/strap should be attached to the frame (maybe the body) and one of the bolts holding the float/pickup tube/sending unit in the tank.

-SM

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it maybe the ground wire. Oh great, is it hard to get to? Got to drop the tank or can it be gotten by feel? Either way, the protector plate has to get moved. Thanks Birk

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Not fun to get to. May be able to reach up above the tank and feel around, but if it is broken or disconnected you will likely have to drop the tank :(

-SM

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My ground wire is pretty shot. I have the tank down and the sending unit out. the float moves on its own. I am on my out to autozone to pick up new fuel hoses and was hopeing that I can get an answer to the following while I am gone. The two wires that go to the sending unit, I can tell which is ground and "hot" but on the sending unit, there is a wire that goes to the float area, is that the one that goes to "hot"? Thanks Birk

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is final done. How much does a gallon of gas weigh? I had about 17 gal in the tank, did not think that it was going to be that heavy. Had to dump into buckets and then refill when back together. Of course the Zone did not have my gas fill hose, had to try to match up as best as can be. All that work for one damn wire and the kick in the pants is that I did not have a bolt to thread on the stud for the wire so I had to tape it up and hope for the best. Thanks guys

·
7,995 Posts
Sorry I didnt get here sooner..it appears to me that the wires use push on molded connectors to go on the studs on the sender, these may be the same ones that I just posted the part number for, from NAPA. The + side shows a 18LB w/tracer and the ground shows 18WT.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
A gallon of water is 8 +/- lbs, so I would guess gas is around 7 +/- lbs per gallon....sounds like you were beching about 200 lbs ;D

You could make a seal out of a piece of rubber, but I would only do this in a pinch because a circular seal tends to want to "squish" out when tightening. The best seal is going to be an OEM one, may want to try a dealer
or another parts store.

If you can find gas-resistant silicon you could use that as well, but I think the gas would eventually eat through the sealant :(

-SM

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like I said this AM, I could see the area wet and smell the fuel. Drove home and checked, not wet little smell, drove back to work still dry and very little smell. Maybe it self sealed? It cant be the level being to high because it was only half full to begin with. I am not going to put fuel in between now and tomorrow when I head to Savannah for a Macco paint job estimate. But then again, if it is related to full fuel, then I wont be able to see if it leaks with an empty tank. Better to be safe than sorry? Thanks Birk

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I replaced all the hoses and re-sealed the sending unit just recently, I used a sheet of gasket material and cut to fit. This gasket material came from NAPA and was made for fuel applications. So far so good. I also put some gasket sealer to make sure of a good seal. Yep, the tank drop and put back is not much fun and I had a 1/4 of a tank and thought it would not be bad...wrong...it was quite heavy.

Kevin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I must admit I just took my tank out and it was pretty much empty so I got lucky. I put it in bone dry so I have the easiest installation possible. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck just running an inline fuel filter because the little filter on the end of my sending unit was completly corroded off and I think buying a new one is a waste of money at this point

1 - 17 of 17 Posts