Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of equipment do you take with you? We all know that you take a sleeping bag and back pack, but what else?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
It depends....

on my spring break trip to Yosemite, sleeping in my truck I'll have just a few of things with me:
my climbing gear, axe, sleeping matress, sleeping bag, warm (windproof and waterproof) clothing, a shovel, hiking boots, stove, cooking stuff, the cooler (make a good box to go into the bear safe on the camp site) and some firewood as well as some sanitary and personal items :)

For my trip this summer, I'll probably have to load some more stuff in my truck :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I will always take a fishing pole, because that is usually why I am hiking or camping. I also bring some type of firearm because I end up in some really remote places and it is good to be prepared. And then of course I always have an axe, my trusty machete, food, water, matches, GPS, and I usually bring my digital camera, 100% pure DEET (an absolute MUST), clothes and if I have room I'll pack my mountain bike in the back. I guess it also depends if I am canoeing to where I am camping I may later things a bit.

Brian

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Let's see....other than the "regular" stuff...I take a head lamp, a MSR stove, matches, water filter, water bottle, compass, pee bottle (I hate to get out of my tent to go in the middle of the night ;). If I'm canoeing, I bring about 250' of rope and carabiners and lots of other stuff. Canoeing is fun because you can bring ALL kinds of things you can't when you back pack.

How about this for camping gear....my son and I bring a Tonka dumptruck and loader with us on canoe trips. ;D

·
29,452 Posts
Man, too much to list, it depends on where I'm going and what I'll be doing when I get there. (sorry for the useless post, I'm just too lazy to type it all) ::)

·
Registered
218 Posts
During the summer if I'm backpacking during good weather I don't carry my tent I just bring my hammock. As of last summer thats been my new thing.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
Really depends on what I'm doing -
If I car camp... everything goes... :p
Otherwise, it depends - I've got like 4 different packs (all frameless type), 4 different tents, 3 different stoves etc etc....
If I'm going up the mountain, I carry cramp-ons, ice axe, some climbing gear. Back country skiing is whole different set of stuff. Summer is different again.
Some stuff I always carry - map, comp., gps, couple other nav. tools. a fairly complete first aid kit, repair kit, 'layered clothes'
Some of my favorite gear: 3-1/2 oz stove, powered by iso-butane canister. 2.75 pound one man tent, 2 cup s/s cup (heavy, but with spoon, serves as my only cooking gear). I'm always working on the go lite thing, and I mostly solo.
Oh and adjustable hiking poles - I use to think these thing were stupid, but man do they save your back, and your legs when going down hill.

Posted by: santak Posted on: March 13, 2004, 11:05:08 PM
It depends....

on my spring break trip to Yosemite, sleeping in my truck I'll have just a few of things with me:
my climbing gear

So santak - you to Yosemite with climbing gear... Tell me more Guy

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
cooper30 said:
Let's see....other than the "regular" stuff...I take a head lamp, a MSR stove, matches, water filter, water bottle, compass, pee bottle (I hate to get out of my tent to go in the middle of the night ;). If I'm canoeing, I bring about 250' of rope and carabiners and lots of other stuff. Canoeing is fun because you can bring ALL kinds of things you can't when you back pack.

How about this for camping gear....my son and I bring a Tonka dumptruck and loader with us on canoe trips. ;D
man i loved that slideshow! that was awesome!

lets see.

no camping trip is complete without a Govt Approved Packing list.
i use the ATF guidelines for this.

A=Alcohol
T=Tobacco
F=Firearms

;D ;D ;D J/K

i dont go camping anymore

4 1/2 years in the infantry burned me out

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never looked foward to the Army "camping trip" but I tended to enjoy it. The worst camping trips are in forgein countries. You never get any sleep and you walk for 3 to 4 days.

·
29,452 Posts
oldmanram said:
Oh and adjustable hiking poles - I use to think these thing were stupid, but man do they save your back, and your legs when going down hill.
Oh yeah, I LOVE the poles! They make a hug difference.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Yeah, I used to smirk at guys who hiked with them till I tried them one day. They sure do give the knees relief.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Man, I used to be as gung ho about camping as you folks. Now i just bring the trailor to the KOA!!! ;D

Rod

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RAMROD4X4 said:
Man, I used to be as gung ho about camping as you folks. Now i just bring the trailor to the KOA!!! ;D

Rod
Nowadays I'll be right next to you. ;D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I learned a lot from my marine Corps days, now I do it right, tents, sleeping bags, and real food. And don`t have to hump all day to get there. It`s nice having the kids as an excuse to travel more slowly.

·
Premium Member
11,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BUMP...  So what does everyone else take camping with them?

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Our trips require the following "essentials"; quantities depending on how many people go.  :p

Ramcharger & tools
First Aid Kits
Coleman Dome Tent/sleeping bags
Backpacks, internal & external frame; camelback bladders
Coleman stove/lanterns
Small battery powered lamps for inside tents, trucks, etc.
Flashlights! Tons of flashlights!
buckets (holds snacks, candy, and provides good seating)
Snacks for said buckets
lots of water (not a lot of soda) for drinking/cleaning
Axes, hatchets, knives, ropes, tie downs, tarps, etc
Coolers full of meat  ;D
Fire pit grill racks for said meat.  Or if I'm lazy, small gas grill.  :p
Various utensils for roasting hotdogs, corn-on-th-cob, thawing bananas, etc
Kitchen implements, such as plates, silverware, paper towels, tumblers, garbage bags, etc.
Emergency supplies (solar blankets, energy bars, chem-lights, FRS radios, waterproof matches)
Solar-powered radio (country music only when out camping; none of that rap garbage  :-X)
Compass, & maps, & essential stuff for that, like rulers, grease pens, pencils.
campsite shoes, hiking boots, shirts, hats, pants, shorts, change of underwear & socks <-----Very important!
"OFF, Deep Woods" bug spray, no DEET!
sunscreen.

Hmmm, can't think of anything else, and I'm too lazy to crack open my "Go Boxes."  ::)

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
I'm a minimalist, I don't bring much. Cooler with food ,drinks, tent sleeping bag, something to start a fire.
Thats it.

Hiking is usually only day hiking, so i really dont bring anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts