Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 Power Ram 250 that I plow with, the front suspension is incredibly worn out and when I pick up the plow it squats almost all the way to the stops in the front, but the rear suspension is super stiff and very tall, so It has a crazy rake to it like most of the plow trucks out there, especially the older ones. Most truck makers assume all the weight will be in the rear but this is quite the opposite with plow trucks. So what would be the simplest way to get more stiffness and travel in the front, lifting my nose off the ground. I don't have a garage or lift so I want the fix to be easy enough to do in the yard with one jack and a bunch of jack stands. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Load Leveler Shocks (they're only available for the Rear of a Vehicle), Measure your Front Shocks (Extended and Compressed) Length and match them up to a set of Load Levelers with similar travel/length.  The easiest way to get the measurements would be to take a Measuring Tape to the Parts Store and have them pull a shock for your truck out of the box  ;)

I did the same thing with the front of my old W50 Plow Truck when i lifted it, had problems with it squating the front way down (even with the torsion bars cranked up)  So i installed a set of Load Levelers in the Front.  With a 7.5' Snow Plow on the front, the front would drop about 2".

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
it is also possible to purchase add-a-leaf springs for the front.  Should help out quite a bit with the plow

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
R!bcracker said:
it is also possible to purchase add-a-leaf springs for the front. Should help out quite a bit with the plow
Yep, Add-A-Leafs do a good job. But with worn out springs they'll only give him a little lift, it won't help much in the line of keeping the axle out of the bumpstops

If it was my truck (just my own opinion) I'd swap the front springs for 1-Tons, and add 2 Leafs per side from a set of 1-Ton Rear Springs. Ride Rough? Probably :p Squat? Nope ;D

Then again, guys who drive Plow Trucks usually don't care if it rides rough. They're using it like a truck ;D At least i never cared, my old W50 Plow Truck/Work Truck/Daily Driver would rattle your teeth on bumps and rough roads.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You could put a set of air bags on the front to help with the extra weight. airbagit has a good selection and decent prices.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a 1 ton front suspension be any stiffer for the front leafs? The front leafs on my ramcharger apear to be the same pack as on my 250. Now the rear is a whole different story. I was also just looking at them load leveling shocks, are the shock mounts even going to hold up under the pressure of a coil spring? they also seem a tad pricy, but I'm pretty cheap. the air bags seemed pricy too. Could a set of rear leaf springs swap to the front? Thanks for all the information.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Rear springs are too long to swap up front without a lot of fabrication to the spring mounts, frame extensions, etc. 1 ton springs are generally heavier but you have to look at the leaf pack as it was possible to get a 1 ton 4WD truck with the same 3,500 lbs axle and suspension that is under a typical 1/2 ton truck. Generally a snow plow prepped truck will have heavier suspension from the factory and some would even have the 4,500 lbs front axle and suspension option which would give it a D60 front axle. The early to mid '70s era springs seem to be a much heavier and stiffer design, so that may be an option but you basically need to look at the arch with weight on them and the number of leaves. That is still not a perfect way to compare leaf springs, but it will give you an idea of what is stronger most of the time. Another option would be just to replace the leaf pack with a heavy aftermarket spring pack from somewhere like www.stengelbros.com or others. You could also get a custom pack made at a local spring shop if you have one near you.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
jhunt414 said:
I was also just looking at them load leveling shocks, are the shock mounts even going to hold up under the pressure of a coil spring?
It'll hold up. I had the ones on my W50 compressed over 3/4 of the travel when i installed em, so it would jack the front of the truck up in the air and constantly ride on the coil springs for stiffer suspension and less upward travel

Yes they are a little pricey, but they are worth it. I think i paid $80 or $90 for the pair i put on my W50, money well spent cause they're still in great condition after several years of plowing snow. I'm gonna install em on the rear of my Dakota cause they still have tons of life left in them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
you could use a set of leafs out of a cummins truck or add some extra leafs to your pack. Use the thick shorter leafs near the bottom of another spring pack and add a couple to yours. The load leveler shocks sound like a good idea too. The stock shock mounts should be strong enough.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Take some leaves out of a junk yard rear pack that you can add into your existing front.  Take them all apart and see what fits best.  One or two more leaves should do it.  You could use any 2.5" leaf pack as a donor so don't limit your search to dodges W series.  You will just want to pay attention to the position of the center pin.

G

·
Duffy said:
You could put a set of air bags on the front to help with the extra weight. airbagit has a good selection and decent prices.
Somewhat off topic, but I'd stay away from airbagit (aka: AIM, chassis tech). They are infamous for shoddy products and even worse customer service. If you want air ride parts, order from companies like Air Lift, Ride Tech, Suicidedoors.com, newmatics.com, etc.

·
Registered
292 Posts
wow lots of good ideas... if it were me id go with springs... load leveler shocks may help some but i dont think youd gain back the 2 inches your saggin with just shocks... rebuilding spring packs aint too bad or even sourcing them custom built might not be a bad idea... wont be as much as airbags which will help lift a little but u still got old worn out saggy springs under there

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
from best I can remember BB/diesel trucks have an extra leaf compared to SB or /6 trucks, so that could be an option.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I installed air shocks on the front of a 75 TrailDuster I used to plow with. I liked it better than the Spring over shocks. With an on-board air tank I could air up or down as needed.

I think it was mid 70's rear B body shocks I used. I know I had to modify the top of the shock slightly, the shock came with a steel insert I had to remove to get it to bolt directly to the top front of the truck.

Maybe a van rear shock would fit better, they dont have the insert in the top mounting hole.

Go to a good parts store, and ask them if you can look through their shock BOOK (not computer). Find the front shock your truck uses, write down the extended, and compressed lengths, and the top and bottom mounts. Then just turn to the back of the book and start looking to find a shock that is as close as possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.