Dodge RamCharger Central banner

high voltage to battery in 76

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dodge82273 
#1 ·
I just took delivery of the 76, D200 I bought from 2900 miles away, and ya, it worked out well for once. So i'm ready to take off for the nostalgia drags Sunday morning. I haven't been more than around the block in the truck till now, top of all fluids it's still dark out and I notice the headlights look a bit dim, so I check battery voltage while engine is idling, and it's over 15 volts!  I keep genuine Mopar voltage regs here , so I popped one of those on and it goes down to14+ volts, but when I rev the engine it's still up over 15 volts. What else other then the voltage regulator determines the charging volts to the battery.
FYI- the amp gauge doesn't work, so I assume the amp gauge is bypassed behind the dash, thanx, Crossy

#2 ·
voltage drop at the bulkhead connection and grounds will cause this.

#3 ·
yep your voltage regulator "thinks" its not getting 14 outta the alt due to bad connections , the dim lights with 15 at the battery tell us that there are a few bad connections/grounds and positives ....  high amp loads like the headlamps , going thru such connections cause heat , which causes fires . address the voltage sense TO regulator/cab ground  AND the headlamp switch/dimmer switch/bulb grounds/firewall headlamp connectors ... as well before the meltdown occurs .. 

#4 ·
for it's age all the wiring appears in real good shape, this truck overall is waaaay better than average, but I 100% know what you are saying,  so I assume that removing, checking eye end tightness, and cleaning ANY/ALL grounds I can find is a good start and pulling the bulkhead connector and soaking in vinegar for a while?  thanx, crossy

#5 ·
resistance in the reference wire circuit typically does this.  Pull the regulator plug and check the voltage. Compare that to battery voltage. Whatever difference you see is how much more the charging system will put out thinking the voltage is lower than it really is. Harness connection corrosion and a bad ignition switch are the most typical if the ammeter has been bypassed.

#6 ·
yep , its 2 problems not 1 . yer reg asking the alt to overcharge , and the headlights getting low voltage . the plug on the headlight switch has been known to melt  , bad loose connections elseware OR right there at the H/L switch.
Mean while that covered up almost hidden dimmer switch's wires attached connection , are subject to dirt/water / unseen mechanical abuse .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.