Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All changed bat. cables to heavier guage now want to get a mini high torq starter for 85 rc 360 .There is starters on e bay from china that look cheap any ideas where i can get a oem one used or rebuilt to solve heat soak .

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Don't buy "new" parts from Ebay unless you are totally ok with the idea that probably 1 in 5 is going to come to you "dead on arrival" or die shortly thereafter and you have absolutely no way of getting your money back or a decent replacement.

You can get several brand name starters from Rockauto, new and reman, that have a much higher chance of being a good, usable part and last a long time.  Just look one up for a '88-'93 truck with a V8 and you are good to go.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
there IS a tin heat shield that WAS used on your years large starter , it was strapped TO the starter , some sort of simmilure thing could be done , but the minis don't seem to need one .... 

·
Registered
798 Posts
mazzif said:
I got one for an 96 Dakota and put it in my 85. Direct fit. 1/2 the weight. 1/3 the size. Affordable. Denso.
Will that work on a big block too?

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Yes, the starters will work on both small and big block engines.  Be aware that on some of the '94 and up starters that the wiring terminals may not be in the best place for an older truck.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yeah I guess I will have to look at the starter closely the next time I have to buy one.  I have the big boy starter on a 400 engine in a 1986 w250.  Some of the pictures of the mini-starters show the terminals almost being on the block side of the starter.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Besides the old heat shields, maybe you could get some of the wrap that they made for wrapping headers, to keep the heat in. You could wrap the starter case with it, to protect it from exhaust heat.

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
"Denso" style starter:

Old Mopar style starter:

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
denso "style"  starter was / is made by a coupla different company's  how to tell if it IS a denso ? um says Denso on it ? all I know of to look for .

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
there was a couple different sizes made between 88-93 but any of the newer ones are way smaller than the old ones. here is a pic i took when i upgraded my 81. one starter is the original off my 81 and the other is a 89 and 91

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.