Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone lately my 93 ramcharger with the 5.9 magnum v8 has been running high oil pressure. It had never done this before. It is high at all speeds and as the rpms increase it just abouts pins the neddle on high. I run castrol gtx standard conventional 10w30 with a fram filter. every thing is stock for the most part. truck doesnt burn oil but has slight rear maon seal leak. I have never replaced the oil pump. I was going to start with changing the oil and filter figuring maybe the drain back valve in the filter could be the culprit. but i wanted to reach out to se eif there was a known problem you guys have experienced. I thought i remeber a problem with the relief valve in the oil pump on these motors but im not sure. Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
  Have you checked the actual oil pressure or are you going by the factory gauge? A spot where the insulation rubbed of or a bad sending unit can cause these same symptoms without actual high pressure.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge that is known to be good.  Sending units and stock gauges are common problems and the older these trucks get, the more common wiring issues are going to pop up.

Also, I highly recommend you NEVER use Fram oil filters. 

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,140 Posts
I agree, I would check the gauge. When you have high oil pressure, it can and usually does, swells the filter. It's an easy way to tell if your pressure is excessive. Although it's not the filter, I have experienced no oil pressure due to a bad filter once. I must have torn apart my oil pump 4 times with new springs each time on my 440 only to find it was the filter drain back all along.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Fram filters are bad news and should never be used, having said that as has been mentioned check the actual oil pressure with a quality pressure gauge. 

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,140 Posts
Ive never had any problems with Fram either but even though I only run K&N oil filters, Purolator filters are also pretty good for the money. They have far more pleats than Fram and have a silicone drain back and a stronger overall construction than Fram also. The Fram Tough Guard is a better filter than their regular model. You can see in the picture just how much better the Purolator filters are vs the Frams 

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.