Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
7,995 Posts
I remember Hickey Enterprises...I believe they were out of Ventura, CA maybe? I have one of their brush guards. Here's a clip from another forum. I seem to remeber that was a neat winch setup back in those days...I'll look around the house for some old books.

You mentioned "footprint, in terms of how much the radiator is blocked by the winch." Remember the Hickey Sidewinder? Veteran Baja racer Vic Hickey designed an electric winch that tucked up well into the frame rails. Little to no radiator signature. It was so hidden, a cable spooling device had to be used to help wind the cable properly. Introduced in 1971 at 8,000 lbs, it was later upgraded to 9,000 lbs, then 10,000 lbs with 3/8" cable.

To my mind back at the time, this was THE winch that I was going to buy for my '79. Unbeknownst to me, Hickey sold the Sidewinder line to another company in the early 1980's... round about the time I was purchasing my other orphans mentioned above. Advanced Adapters ended up with the winch patents and tooling by 1986, and started marketing the Advanced Adapter Sidewinder until 1988, when the Sidewinder winch assets were sold to a so-called entrepreneur who sold the Sidewinders for about a year before winding up belly up. The tooling and spare parts spun around in various auctions years later, but who knows where they wound up.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
ROTFL!! I saw the same info while I was looking for info for a list I am on! This was about a month ago! I LIKE the idea, dunno if it could pull what some of the newer ones are pulling now.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Ok, so you need to be SLAPPED!!!! lol Nice find!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts