Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't run my 90 RC (.318 throttle body) for over four months and it had a half tank of gas in it (Kept in enclosed garage entire time). Took it around the block yesterday and almost didn't get back!!! :(

I am thinking that the carb needs to be cleaned out because the gas sat in it. I propose the following:

1. Drain the gas and put fresh in it. Or could I put new gas on top of the old gas (hate to throw away a half tank). Could I put an additive in the old gas to rejuvenate it?
2. Change out the plugs cap rotor and wires
3. Put in a can of fuel injector cleaner to clean out the carburator.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to approach this problem?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
If it were my truck I would fill the tank up and add some time of fuel system cleaner to it. There is some stuff called Stabil that is for storing gasoline. It might help some now too. I would just drive it and on the next tank add some fuel injector cleaner. I'm sure it will clear up. Four months isn't really that long. I've let vehicles sit longer and they ran ok on that old of gas.

G

·
Four months is not long at all. I just started a 74 Lincoln after 6 years, It ran rough for 15 minutes, then ran great after that.
Did you have the battery connected for that four months, Are you getting any codes from it?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
4 months is nothing, unless you let it sit without an air cleaner for 4 months it shouldn't have a problem except maybe need a good run through the rpms

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
if u have a 90 tbi, then u dont have a carb :) sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. anyway, just let it sit and run, take through the rpms a few times, and some fuel injector cleaner isnt a bad idea.

Duane

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chrysler300le said:
If it were my truck I would fill the tank up and add some time of fuel system cleaner to it. There is some stuff called Stabil that is for storing gasoline. It might help some now too. I would just drive it and on the next tank add some fuel injector cleaner. I'm sure it will clear up. Four months isn't really that long. I've let vehicles sit longer and they ran ok on that old of gas.
The symptom is that it runs rough. When I tried to accelerate it the truck shook real bad and almost died out. It would only drive down the road with my barely touching the accelerator. It eventually got to about 45 MPH this way. When I tried to floor it and give it more gas after driving it about 10 miles this way it hesitated again and almost died .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CLRracer said:
if u have a 90 tbi, then u dont have a carb :) sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. anyway, just let it sit and run, take through the rpms a few times, and some fuel injector cleaner isnt a bad idea.

Duane
Sorry about that. You are correct a TBI is not a carb. Anyway I let the truck idle for a while before taking it out on the road. The symptom is that it runs rough. When I tried to accelerate it the truck shook real bad and almost died out. It would only drive down the road with my barely touching the accelerator. It eventually got to about 45 MPH this way. When I tried to floor it and give it more gas after driving it about 10 miles this way it hesitated again and almost died .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
78TrailDuster said:
Four months is not long at all. I just started a 74 Lincoln after 6 years, It ran rough for 15 minutes, then ran great after that.
Did you have the battery connected for that four months, Are you getting any codes from it?
I did have the battery connected and on a auto trickle charger the entire time. I just did the codes and they are:

12-memory standby power lost (How could that be if the battery was never disconnected?)
37-solenoid driver circuit fault (the truck is an automatic and this fault always shows up)
55-end of test

Also, the symptom is that it runs real rough. When I tried to accelerate it the truck shook real bad and almost died out. It would only drive down the road with my barely touching the accelerator. It eventually got to about 45 MPH this way. When I tried to floor it and give it more gas after driving it about 10 miles this way it hesitated again and almost died .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
4 months is nothing, unless you let it sit without an air cleaner for 4 months it shouldn't have a problem except maybe need a good run through the rpms
Didn't let it sit without an air cleaner. The symptom is that it runs real rough. When I tried to accelerate it the truck shook real bad and almost died out. It would only drive down the road with my barely touching the accelerator. It eventually got to about 45 MPH this way. When I tried to floor it and give it more gas after driving it about 10 miles this way, it hesitated again and almost died .

·
7,995 Posts
Check your plugs and wires, make sure there isnt a spider or corrosion inside your distributor cap or terminals, change the fuel filter and run a can of SeaFoam(from NAPA/CarQuest) through the fuel system. www.seafoamsales.com
:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chump said:
Check your plugs and wires, make sure there isnt a spider or corrosion inside your distributor cap or terminals, change the fuel filter and run a can of SeaFoam(from NAPA/CarQuest) through the fuel system. www.seafoamsales.com
:)
Thanks for the help. Do you recommend that I fill the remainder of the tank with fresh gas (same octane), pour in the Seafoam and then after running it for awhile change the gas filter or change the filter before I do all of this?

I will check the wires and cap and rotor. That's a good idea too.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
also in ur checking of caps and wires, check ur Coolant Temp Sensor. these can go bad and cause similar problems like u describe.

Duane

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You could have a fouling plug or plugs too. I have seen the electrodes corrode up from sitting, usually a lot longer though. But, its not a bad idea to clean and gap them when checking the wires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CLRracer said:
also in ur checking of caps and wires, check ur Coolant Temp Sensor. these can go bad and cause similar problems like u describe.

Duane
How does one "check" that sensor without just replacing it? I do have an auxillary transmission cooler (from Autozone) and it is cold here. Temperature gauge was reading left of center even after 10 miles but not real far to the cold side.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I know it has a cold and hot resistance range, since I don't have your year/model can't say exactly. I'm sure that someone with the FSM for yours will check in an let you know what resistance to be looking for pretty soon. For now check the connection terminals for corrosion and be sure you seat it back snug, and see if any change!

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I would fill the tank with high octane and some fuel system cleaner and / or fuel tank dryer. You may have a problem with some seals/orings having cracked from age and drying out. It sounds to me like you have the same problem that a carb gets when it sits and the gaskets/seals crack and you then have fuel leaks. It may also be a fuel supply issue, like pump/filter/lines.

Make sure the cap/rotor/plugs are clean, and check all connections for the wires/coil. You may have developed some corrosion that is giving you fits.

It almost sounds more like a timing / spark issue than a fuel issue. Does it run rough when you rev it in neutral ?? or just under load ?? Do you see any black smoke in back when it is running rough and you gun it ??

Try running it around the block, and as soon as you get it in the driveway, kill it and pull a plug from each side and check to see if it is black or tan. You can even do this and stop on the side of the road and check the plugs right after it acts up if you want. If they are black or smell like fuel, you have a big fuel leak somewhere.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TheRamChargerMan said:
I would fill the tank with high octane and some fuel system cleaner and / or fuel tank dryer. You may have a problem with some seals/orings having cracked from age and drying out. It sounds to me like you have the same problem that a carb gets when it sits and the gaskets/seals crack and you then have fuel leaks. It may also be a fuel supply issue, like pump/filter/lines.

Make sure the cap/rotor/plugs are clean, and check all connections for the wires/coil. You may have developed some corrosion that is giving you fits.

It almost sounds more like a timing / spark issue than a fuel issue. Does it run rough when you rev it in neutral ?? or just under load ?? Do you see any black smoke in back when it is running rough and you gun it ??

Try running it around the block, and as soon as you get it in the driveway, kill it and pull a plug from each side and check to see if it is black or tan. You can even do this and stop on the side of the road and check the plugs right after it acts up if you want. If they are black or smell like fuel, you have a big fuel leak somewhere.
It only happens under load. It starts immediately and excellent throttle response in neutral but only hesitates and vibrates real bad when under load.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TheRamChargerMan said:
Check your timing, and also check for vacuum leaks. you may have a gasket that has gone bad that is letting it run lean. Does it backfire at all ???

what about the black smoke ??
Only normal while exhaust smoke and no backfiring though I expected it at any time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.