Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's shockingly solid for a gulf coast truck that's been sitting on a ranch since 1998. The floors, chassis, doors, and roof are M-I-N-T, but the lower quarters are ate up...nothing some expanding foam and Evercoat with some tractor paint won't fix :)

Once we get some tires and figure out how to pop the hood I'm going to help him get it running (which I'm 90% sure it will). If it runs/drives he's going to try and get a title. The Dash doesn't even have a crack in it.
-Patrick

Attachments

Reactions: Lzed

·
Registered
212 Posts
not bad for a Gulf Coast truck. Kinda surprising it survived so well with the salty air thats near by.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ah it’ll buff right out

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions on how to open the hood without damaging the grille? It’s almost mint and I don’t want to ding it. The cable came loose from the latch itself.

·
Registered
249 Posts
you can pop the inner fender well out squeeze in there or cut the hood open, depending how much you care for the hood. I’ve been lacking some ingenuity lately.

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
You should be able to pull the center grille out without needing the hood open and that should allow enough room to trip the latch.

Looks like an '81-'84 model with later mirrors (possibly doors) added later.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be able to pull the center grille out without needing the hood open and that should allow enough room to trip the latch.

Looks like an '81-'84 model with later mirrors (possibly doors) added later.

data plate says 2/82 manufacturer plate...all the body panels appear to be original to the truck. It looks like it was a shade of orange similar to Hemi Orange/ EV2 then sprayed white, then sprayed half ass camo, then abandoned.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hood's open. Engine is complete, full of oil, transmission is still full of oil. Radiator is empty since the heater control valve broke. I think it'll run. The only thing that's fubar'd on it is someone hacked some wiring to bypass the ignition switch because they lost the key or the ignition switch went bad. I can't figure out why people do such dumb repairs vs. just fixing it.

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
data plate says 2/82 manufacturer plate...all the body panels appear to be original to the truck. It looks like it was a shade of orange similar to Hemi Orange/ EV2 then sprayed white, then sprayed half ass camo, then abandoned.
The mirrors are certainly not stock as they were only used in '88-'93. They look to be actual Dodge mirrors also, as the GM ones have a different angle to the arm and angle upward on a Dodge door. Unless there is evidence of the old 3 point mirror mounts on the door that have been filled in or welded over, then most likely the doors were replaced at some point from a '88-'93 donor and they left the new style mirrors on.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The mirrors are certainly not stock as they were only used in '88-'93. They look to be actual Dodge mirrors also, as the GM ones have a different angle to the arm and angle upward on a Dodge door. Unless there is evidence of the old 3 point mirror mounts on the door that have been filled in or welded over, then most likely the doors were replaced at some point from a '88-'93 donor and they left the new style mirrors on.

I honestly don't know anything about identifying the 81 & up ramchargers from one another. I do know that the faded factory orange paint under the white, is equally faded everywhere it's showing thru. It's a "Custom" trim level which I'm under the impression is the lowest option level there is. The tan door panels seem to match the dash. I'm guessing someone put later mirrors on it if they're not original. It's a 318 2bbl and the only factory option I can identify is A/C.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I honestly don't know anything about identifying the 81 & up ramchargers from one another. I do know that the faded factory orange paint under the white, is equally faded everywhere it's showing thru. It's a "Custom" trim level which I'm under the impression is the lowest option level there is. The tan door panels seem to match the dash. I'm guessing someone put later mirrors on it if they're not original. It's a 318 2bbl and the only factory option I can identify is A/C.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe BASE is the lowest option. From what I understand, if you order a base model and add a few personal choice options, it becomes a custom. Like the AC unit. I have a Custom that was upgraded to heavy duty 6100+, added cooling, bigger alt, and high back deluxe parchment seats. So that is my interpretation of what I think Custom is.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Dodge wiring is almost always been hacked by a PO. It & rust are usually a given.

Bucky

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of (strange to me) things on this truck, like the already mentioned side view mirrors, 35 gallon fuel tank & skid plate, and hemi orange? I didn't see EV2 on the fender tag, but I have no idea what that orange was coded as into the 80's.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
All '81-'93 Ramchargers have the 35/36 gallon tank. Skid plate is a popular option. If it has the newer style vent window, it's pretty safe to say the doors were swapped. IF it has the old vent windows, it was probably just a mirror swap at some point in it's life.

PM me the VIN and I might be able to tell you what the original paint code was.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The only color remotely close on the1982 truck color chart is TT6 Ginger Tan, and that would be quite a stretch to be considered orange.

My guess is that this was originally a fleet/company vehicle & painted that way (special order).

Would a Carfax show the original owner?

Bucky

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Asplundh Tree Experts & Dresser Atlas are two companies that had corp vehicles painted Orange.

Bucky

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Asplundh Tree Experts & Dresser Atlas are two companies that had corp vehicles painted Orange.

Bucky
based on the location of the truck, it’s age, and being it’s from Victoria, TX. It would make sense that it was ordered by Dowell Oilfield. It appears to be about the same color Orange.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All '81-'93 Ramchargers have the 35/36 gallon tank. Skid plate is a popular option. If it has the newer style vent window, it's pretty safe to say the doors were swapped. IF it has the old vent windows, it was probably just a mirror swap at some point in it's life.

PM me the VIN and I might be able to tell you what the original paint code was.

I don’t know if those are 1’s or I’s.

IB4GWI2PXCS24502I

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am almost sure I've seen that color orange on fleet vehicles before. Maybe State or County vehicles Usually trucks though, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Ramcharger like that.

·
Super Moderator
29,508 Posts
Sorry, the VIN is too old and doesn't come up in either StarParts of a VIP inquiry through DealerConnect. It's not uncommon as most VINs older than the late '80s don't come up, but I have had one from '82 come up before so I figured it was worth a try.

Also, those are 1s. VINs don't normally use "i" or "o" always 1 or 0.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts