Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last month after doing a partial compression test? So I ended up putting in a mechanical guage, and pulled the distributor, put a drill and shaft to turn the oil pump....Well I had the valve cover off so I could see if the oil was flowing out. Well, I dont remember for sure but I think I was a bit worried then because even though I could get some oil pressure with the drill no oil was flowing out the valve train. Thas because the crank had to be either at 10 or 1 o'clock based from TDC. I didnt think of that at the time of testing, but in a case where you are pumping up oil pressure on a fresh rebuild that would be good to remember if you want oil to the upper end.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
That's why you turn the motor and pressurize it as you turn, but i pour the oil down each bank over the rockers and then pressurize the motor and it's not the crank it's the cam that keeps the oil from each side of the head

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
That's why you turn the motor and pressurize it as you turn, but i pour the oil down each bank over the rockers and then pressurize the motor and it's not the crank it's the cam that keeps the oil from each side of the head
Ya, but the crank at the 1 and 10 o'clock position puts the cam in the right position. Cant tell where the cam is but you can tell where the crank is.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Yeah but the oil is stopped at the cam, not the crank so if anyone was to read and think that half the crank was dry they wouldn't have a heart attack about starting the motor

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Evildriver-3 said:
Yeah but the oil is stopped at the cam, not the crank so if anyone was to read and think that half the crank was dry they wouldn't have a heart attack about starting the motor
Post was about priming after a fresh rebuild. Is assuming somebody can put together the thought that the cam bearings are where the oil goes through for the valve train after they just rebuilt the engine too much to assume? I didnt think so, and my post is a reminder that at 10 and 1 oclock ON THE CRANK the oil will get to the rockers. Nobody thought of this point when I was trying to figure why oil wasn't getting to my rockers a month ago. Just got lucky that the problem was something else, and not a spun cam bearing, or that I was willing to run the engine even though I couldn't get oil to flow at the heads. Its good info to remember.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
The oil goes thru the cam to each bank, at certain degrees it doesn't get past the cam because the drilled passages in the cam don't go thru there drilled on a 90 degree intersect and 1 galley goes up off front cam bearing and the other off the rear bearing or actually 2nd bearing in off each end

G

·
The cam journals are cross drilled? I thought big block cams had slotted journals. That would explain it.

Thanks Marty.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Sorry not cross drilled really as in thru cross drilled like a crank, but drilled at 90 degrees and intersecting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts