Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked my new to me R/C this weekend. It seems to have one small problem. At idle it has a small hesitation when I push the gas pedal. Once it gets over the initial hesitation it does fine from then on. Could this be related to the TBI? The guy I got the R/C from gave me a complete TBI unit off another truck that was totaled, that had no hesitation problems. I am considering swapping them out, if it could be the source of my problem. Also is there anything on them I can rebuild? Is there a kit for them?

88 R/C 318 with 727

·
7,995 Posts
Try checking your timing real close...most of the guys here say if the timing is off just a little you will get the hesitation. You can sort of rebuild the TBI but its not like a carb..the kit is just seals and gaskets.

G

·
I second the timing suggestion. FYI if you don't already know. You will need to disconnect the coolant temp sensor prior to adjusting the timing. Unplugging that sensor overides the computer so that you can manualy adjust the timing. At sea level the timing should be set at 10* btdc. You can advance it 1* for every 1000 feet invelation from there. If you advance it too much it will run hot.

G

·
At the front of the intake manifold on the drivers side between the thermostat housing and the valve cover. It has 2 wires comming out of it 1 tan and 1 black. pretty easy to find.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to check the timing, but I couldn't find a timing pointer on the front on the timing chain cover. I found the coolant temp sensor. Also is the harmonic balancer marked at 10 BTDC? One more thing, I think I am going to need a good repair manual any recommendations?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nevermind on the timing thing I figured out the timing. I was at about 15 BTDC. I reset it to 10 BTDC and I have the same problem at idle. When cruising at 65-70 mph I had some valve clatter under acceleration. It seems to be gone or very minimal now. So that helped that problem. I am going to put a new air filter in tomorrow and I bought a rebuild kit for my TBI ($13). Any more suggestions?

G

·
On the passenger side of the throttle body there is a sensor called the throttle position sensor. it lets the ecm know what postion the throttle plates are in. Take that off connect the probes on a multi meter set on ohms and use a small screwdriver to turn the dial inside the switch. Watch your meter and look to see if the numbers roll up and down smooth. If the numbers on the meter jump around alot or don't roll up and down smooth you may need to replace that sensor. If the sensor looks good elongate the mounting holes and reinstall the TPS sensor. once it is installed loosen the screws that secure the sensor and rotate it a little bit. Sometimes there is a litle extra play between the throttle plate rod and the sensor. That usually takes care of it.

FWIW that valve clatter that went away was ignition pinging from the timing being to far advanced.

G

·
85DodgeRC said:
I have the same problem with my 85 Ram Charger and I have a regular carb on it non computer system.
I'm not real good with carbs but if it is stumbling it could be a low float level or a bad power valve.

G

·
After looking at the pictures I would say it is due for a rebuild. In one of the pics you can see where fuel is seeping down the side of the bowl. if gas is leaking out air is most likley comming in. The Power valve / accelerator pump should be in the rebuild kit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.