Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently bought an 88 RC le150 and had to have the carburetor redone due to a dirtdobber nest inside of it. It was not too big a deal and fortunatley did not cost an arm and leg. For a good solid month now it has been running like a top, with a slight desire to get hot (texas weather). Now I have come upon a problem that seems to be carb related. When I start her up in the morning, I have the same success as I was when it was running fine. But the idle seems rough. It has a sputter-like pattern to it and if I attempt to put it into drive or reverse, there is a major hesitation in acceleration. It does not necissarily die, it just remains idling choppy and hardly budges when gas is applied. Now the odd thing is, if I turn her off and come back in 30 mins or 45, she starts normal and idles fine, as well as drives fine. This problem started occuring a week or so ago. Every once in a while i get a small amount of hesitation at stop and go situations, but it hardly noticable once the major bout in the earlier portion of the day is over. I am not too familiar with carbs, but from the symptoms I am only guessing this is the problem. Luckily I DO have a lifetime waranty on the maintanance of the carb. I heard that Q-Jet carbs tend to flood easy, yet lately I have not really been pumping the gas to get her started too much, so I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have had a couple of Mopar trucks and I've had quite a few friends with them over the years, 70's era and 80's era vehicles with a variety of different carbs and they all act like this. Mopars are cold blooded wet weather hating bastards, try living where it gets really cold, sometimes it takes up to a half an hour warm up before they'll even move. I wouldn't wory about it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
my dart is doin the same thing.... but its pingin also.... i thought i had it tuned out but now since i got hte intake gasket done and a full tune up it seems worse than befor i did the work on it....mine is REALLY hesitating and its startin to piss me off..... so i'll keep on workin at it and let ya know what i find.... oh and i'm runnin an AFB on a 318 in a 71 dart...

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I have a hesitation in mine too. Mine does it when you have the brake pedal mashed so i need to replace my booster.. runs great when brakes are off.. might look at the booster & make sure its not goin out..

·
Registered
81 Posts
When it is doing this, pull the cover off the air cleaner and check to see if the automatic choke is closed at all. It is the two butterfly valves on top of the smaller (front) two barrels. They should be straight up and down, fully open. If they are closed at all, then that is likely your problem. If so, take it back to who did the carb work and let them fix it on the warranty.

Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts