Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone swapped a new generation Ram Hemi into their 93- older D150 series truck yet?
issues? results?
these motor/trans kits are getting reasonable to buy out of wrecks now, & I'm feeling a project coming on............. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The engine has only been out for a little over a year now. Expect any engine in the junk yard to bring a pretty good price.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
MP's coming out with crate Hemi's too. FI and Carb'd.
I've seen a few articles in the mags about swapping them into older muscle cars, may try to find one of them and see if they're helpful to ya or not

·
Registered
368 Posts
i was thinking about doing a swap, but havent found the engine and tranny set up for a good price yet. I have been thinking about doing something with a generation 2 viper engine, but this may just be big dreams.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
50ply said:
i was thinking about doing a swap, but havent found the engine and tranny set up for a good price yet. I have been thinking about doing something with a generation 2 viper engine, but this may just be big dreams.
in a 58 mabey? Christine with a V10 , sweeet!!!

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Hell no, stuff it in an 85 Diplomat...the ultimate sleeper ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts
thats weird, i was just talking to the guys at work about such a swap (shouting the %$# at lunch)
I think it would work well
i think the way to go, would be to buy the whole wrecked truck(maybe a rollover)
I seen one on ebay about a month ago.
i say the whole truck because it would make the swap way easier, swap wiring harness, exhaust, plumbing etc
I would hate to think of the extra cost of the small stuff you would have to source at the dealer to make it work. plus whatever was left over you could sell and try to recoup some of the cost.

I will make you a deal: if i win the lottery i will buy a new hemi and do the swap (with pictures)
Also because of the time on my hands with my new wealth, i will convert this new "04 hemi with a '90 V6/ 5 speed
Hows that!!??
Gerry

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
The biggest problem to overcome for this swap would be adapting the fly-by-wire accelerator to whatever you are swapping in to. I'm sure it could be done, but would probably need to use the go pedal from the hemi truck as well.

-SM

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
well if my 273 ever kicks the bucket in my 68 dart 270 4dr sedan i'm puttin in the crate hemi... a buddy of mine over at the local chrysler dealer can get me an entire setup for EFI ( comp, wireing harness, motor, ect.) for $5000 or so.... so just my little sleeper;D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well I have found a totaled 99 dodge viper for sale, the engine and tranny are not damaged and do work. Im looking a 9,800 for it. This doesn’t sound like much for a 99 viper but there is not a good part on the body, everyone of the wheels have been ripped off and I have been told that is rolled over 6 times, but I heard is run and I sat in it, revved it up, sounded really good. (Had to crawl through he window to get in it) I am thinking about buying it, I have a 84 R/c that needs a engine…

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well it is a toss up at this piont i have a 04 crf450 and i would have to sell it to get the car, just dont know yet. what do you people think?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well the viper generation 2 engines are different then the one that was in the trucks. Also I would be using the six speed from the viper, My dad is a machinist and he can make adapters to go from the 6 speed to a NP205, but I don’t know how strong the tranny is. I’m thinking that I will have some gear ratio issues, I’m not sure that the gear ratios are in the tranny, but it might be geared to high for any low end power. I could fix this with a lower rear gear ratio but I don’t really want to be running super low rear gears either, like to keep the drive shaft rpm’s down. If I do this it will be a very custom application. The car is a 99 gts with 28,000 miles. This might be me dreaming again but I think I can do this. I have the money now and plenty of time and all the tools and a shop to do to installation. I just think that a viper powered Ramcharger would be sweet.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I think the Viper tranny should work fine with the gearing that's in it.. and keep in mind.. if you do decide to go to lower gears.. The 6 speed has 2 OD's in it.. You're cruising rpms will be low enough. That'll also save some weight on the nose for a winch & bumper combo.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You don't know how strong the tranny is? ? ? why do you think the motor in your truck now is stronger than the V-10 in that viper that you would even have to second think that question, c'mon really do you

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Viper t56 6 speed ratios out of a GTS: 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .74, .50.

gotta love the overdrives but that first gear would hurt you. furthermore, the t56 with the 2.66 close ratio is rated at handling 550 ft./lbs of torque.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Aren't the 727's only a 2.45 for 1st gear? 2.66 doesn't seem that bad for 1st gear; but with a .5 6th gear OD.. HE could run a 4.56, 4.89 or even a 5.13 gear.. Have plenty of bottom end.. and great highway gear as well.
Aaron

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a chance at a Hemi and auto from a wrecked 1/2 ton Ram at the local yard, my buddy runs it and will give me a deal, so...? :)

Now, how do I put the Hemi and new auto to bolt up to the NP203 fulltime t-case??? Like, say, in a '76 or so Power Wagon?? :)

JS

·
Registered
147 Posts
I realize that it won't bolt directly, and that I'll have to make an adapter. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, though...

JS

1 - 20 of 48 Posts