Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i'm looking at leaf springs for my 78 Trailduster. I'm on JC Whitney and came across replacment springs. I wanna lift the truck but wanna go a cheap route. The front springs have 3 leaves in them and I Fount a 6 leave pack for a heavy duty truck on the site and they say they will work there 106 dollars before shipping and everything and I'm wondering if they will give my truck more lift and I know they will replace my old ones cause there flat but im looking to lift it but cheaper and wondering if it would work. Here is a link If you need to now anything I dont know if everything makes sense just PM or ask me on here thanks in advance Chris.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement-leaf-springs-for-truck-and-suv/p2005966.jcwx?skuId=272367&filterid=c11298d1806y1978j1

·
Registered
722 Posts
They should work unless they're for a 1 ton truck then they will be too long. Your best bet is aftermarket if you want lift or find a spring shop and have a set made. If the springs you are looking at are for a ramcharger or 1/2 ton pickup they will still be flat there's just more of them. That will be good if you're putting on a plow but if not you'll get more rough ride than lift.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks they said the 6 pack would work so i thought it would be more lift as well as replacing the old ones. What would it cost to get a set for front and back made?

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Buy a lift kit.  You will need everything that comes in a kit and will probably pay more for it in the end by buying it all separately.  If you are trying to save money by only buying the springs then you are building an unsafe truck.  By buying a heavier leaf pack all you are going to do is maybe get 2" of lift at the most and a much, much rougher ride.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fount a lift kit im looking at and im wondering if I buy a 6 inch leaf spring set up for the rear and a 8 inch leaf spring kit for the front will the truck be level thats what the kit comes with is why im asking.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
8" in front and 6" rear?  No it will not sit level.  If you get springs for the rear that are about 4" more lift than the front you can eliminate the stock rear block and it will sit level but at no point can you put more lift on the front than the rear and have it sit level.  Like I said before, buy a complete kit, front and rear with shocks and then buy all the steering pieces to make it work correctly and safe or don't do it at all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the reason i was asking is cause the kit came like that but didint say anything about the blocks.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
You are looking at a kit that has 8" front springs and 6" rear springs?  It must have a block for the rear that they are not mentioning to make up the 2" difference.  The problem with that is that it will probably require you to stack that block on top of the factory block.  Lift kits are measured over stock height so any block that a kit uses will have to be stacked on the factory block.  Stacking blocks is a bad idea no matter what.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Check out Rocky Mountain Suspension. They're a site suppoter and should have just what you need.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
It should be. Like El said, you have to make sure the rear springs eliminate the block or not have you stack blocks. Before you buy the kit, give the company a call to see how they get the 4 inch lift in the rear.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have another question im looking at a set up its a 5 inch superlift and im wondering will i still need to use a block in the rear they said something about a lift over 2inch would need add a leafs or blocks i believe is what is being said here is a link to the set up thanks again Chris

http://www.superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=K473&V=143

sorry about all the questions just trying to do it right.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
From the instructions for that kit, it sounds like you will be adding a add-a-leaf to your stock rear springs and then stacking blocks.  Definitely a kit I would pass on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a link to rocky mountain you can go down to the superlift and it says it comes with rear springs. im not sure just trying to make sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts