Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you get to the front two bolts of the bed on a 79 Ramcharger , I have removed 4 across the top of the windsheild and 6 across the back of the bed but there are two bolts that I cant get to the heads behind the doors

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a 78 RC,I dont remember the last 2 bolts your talking about.Iw would examine things a little closer and see if they are involved in the the removle process.My 1st time removle was a good double leg on the bench seat upwards pop!But that was the 1978.Good summer cruisn rig though! Miss it.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
howdy mopar79rc and welcome to the board / there should be a member that knows the answer around shortly

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't remember any bolts that I could not get to. Mine is a 79 and I think I remember 4 bolts across the front. I got tired of taking that weight on and off and put a softop from Kayline on and I have not been happier.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
mopar79rc said:
the two bolts by the rollbar are the ones i'm having trouble with , there is not a head visible only threads thru a square nut that is welded to the bracket , thanks
they can be a pain in the ass, you will need a long extension that goes almost to the floor board to reach up in there, a wobble extension makes it a touch easier.

eric

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sounds like something changed after 78'. I have only seen the four fronts and the ones along the bedrails. You can remove it by yourself if you park under an A-frame or tree limb that you can attach a hoist to. Slip a couple of tie-down straps under the top so it's balanced, then just hoist it up. Otherwise you need 3 or 4 sturdy men to manuver the thing - unless you don't mind banging it around.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Ramjet said:
Sounds like something changed after 78'. I have only seen the four fronts and the ones along the bedrails. You can remove it by yourself if you park under an A-frame or tree limb that you can attach a hoist to. Slip a couple of tie-down straps under the top so it's balanced, then just hoist it up. Otherwise you need 3 or 4 sturdy men to manuver the thing - unless you don't mind banging it around.
it is not that anything changed, if you notrice in his initial post it says he has removed 6 across the bed of the RC, that still leaves 2 in place, it sounds like he has a roll bar installed, and if so those last 2 front ones (one on each side) are a royal PIA to get to.

eric

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone have a rough idea of just how much one of these tops weigh. I am thinking of rigging something up to the roof trusses in my garage to remove the roof by myself and would like toknow how heavy it really is.

Thanx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanx!

That's all, the way I've heard I would have thought they were much heavier.

I've had 3 RC's with removeable tops in the past that either never had a top or I never took it off. The one I have now is a keeper, so I bought a soft top for it and want to be able to put the top on and off by myself.

Thanx again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts